Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing several new construction homes. I've sprayed many interiors times but never an exterior. Is backrolling a must even if you are able to get the paint on evenly without doing so. I'm thinking backrolling works the paint into the sidiing and is neccesary. Please give me your opinion on if its neccesary or not. These are model homes, General Contractor wants everything done at a low cost. Hes not looking for the paint to last forever. Could I get away with just spraying and no backroll? Thanks Much

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Backrolling is almost always necessary to get the best coverage. Not only that, but you will have to cut in at least along soffits in a lot of places, and these areas of cut-in will stand out bad if the walls are just sprayed and not backrolled. If they are stucco exteriors then I would most deffinitely backroll because what I speak of tends to show up more on those.

·
Banned
187 Posts
Red Flag!

Danger, Danger, Danger!

You state that the "GC wants everything done at a low cost and does not want the paint to last forever".

My advice is to tighten up your boots and run like hell.

Do you really want to be associated with that type of attitude?

Your choice.

Tom
Ranger Painting

·
Banned
187 Posts
By the way, I agree with AA.

Backrolling is a must.

There is nothing worse than the "sprayed coat of paint" that is just laying on the surface.

Tom
Ranger

·
Registered
74 Posts
i think it depends on the type of substrate your painting aluminum or lap siding for example would be tough to backroll. if at any height. i prefer to tape everything up i can first no cutting in and spray everything. masonary or stucco would be a good choice to back roll. sometimes t111 is hard to spray and get materials inside the joints and routed areas. sometimes u have to brush them in then spray. my 2 cents

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
I can cut in the soffits on a house faster than 3 guys can tape them, so I never tape stuff like this on exteriors. I just cut in and get the sprayer goin as quick as I can.

I do agree that backrolling on lap siding is not always something we do just because of the nature of the substrate. Just about anything else though really needs backrolling...especially the t111 you mention.....sheesh that stuff is a pain. Who's the moron that invented that stuff? :no:

·
Registered
74 Posts
mainly because its alot faster to put the paint on with a sprayer than dipping in the bucket. power rollers are another alternative that works nice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
as for the taping i was referring to taping up of windows doors things of that nature. if the sulfits are to be painting i dont worry about the over spray then go back and paint them with cutting in and rolling if there not to be painted we usually sheild them

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
lmcgrew79 said:
mainly because its alot faster to put the paint on with a sprayer than dipping in the bucket. power rollers are another alternative that works nice.
Roger that. You can get the paint on dang fast with a sprayer, and if you're any good, you can backroll at a very brisk pace. I can absolutely fly doing this by myself, and with a helper....look out!! Only thing I need the helper for is to pull my hose and hold the shield for the most part and when I don't need them, they roll...

·
Registered
167 Posts
lmcgrew79 said:

I haven't had any experience with a power roller. I am assuming these gadgets have a tube connected to a 5 gallon pail that provides paint all the time without needing to stop and dunking your sleeves into a pail. How effective are power rollers?? Do they really save you time?? Advantages and Disadvantages?? Name brand you can suggest??

Thanks

Zeebo

·
Registered
74 Posts
Zeebo said:
I haven't had any experience with a power roller. I am assuming these gadgets have a tube connected to a 5 gallon pail that provides paint all the time without needing to stop and dunking your sleeves into a pail. How effective are power rollers?? Do they really save you time?? Advantages and Disadvantages?? Name brand you can suggest??

Thanks

Zeebo
No they connect to your spray gun titan is the only one ive used titan has two actually one actually sprays the roller the other paint flows thru the handle into the roller and the roller had holes in it to allow the fluid to come out.. ive used the one with the holes in the rollers ive priced them at sherwin one i think between 150 and 250 well worth the price. i believe graco has one to. i used mainly graco guns so if was u buy one it would be graco.

·
Registered
79 Posts
LOW COST?NOT LAST FOREVER?SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU MIGHT NOT LAS WITH HIM FOREVER TO ME.I WOULD GET MY FIRST 2-3 CHECKS(IF THEY END UP BEING GOOD)AND ADVERTISE ADVERTISE ADVERTISE,WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS I THINK YOU ARE GETTING IN WITH SOMEONE WHO IS MORE WORRIED ABOUT THE QUICK DOLLAR INSTEAD OF STEADY,QAULITY WORK.DO YOU WANT YOUR NAME AND REP ASSOCIATED WITH THAT?:thumbdown

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always backroll interior or exteriors except for aluminum siding or other non porous surfaces. Backrolling helps to assure an even coat of paint, lack of shiners caused by thick spots, and aids in any future touchups. I usually spray the first coat and then backroll the second coat.

I'll not risk my reputation on any substandard painting techniques I just respecfully decline the job.

Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts