Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used a couple different backlink check tools and they show different results. One will show 40, another 9, and another shows 0??? What is a good site for me to use for accurate info?

Also, any suggestions where to build more backlinks? I have registered on almost all the directories/yellow pages and such, but as you know they are almost always coded no follow. Any suggestions for building more quality links?

I'm new to seo and trying to learn this stuff. I still have a lot to finish on my site, but am chipping away at it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I would put all your efforts into your site and then citations. Backlinks are getting tricky even for people who supposedly know what they are doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Google Web Master Tools is the best free option for you when checking backlinks. JBM is right, be careful building links, it can really hurt you if you don't handle it right.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I certainly have a lot of work to do on my site, but am trying to wrap my head around all this seo and ranking crap. Ultimately, I will probably hire someone to take care of this stuff for me, but I want to understand the basics and address what I can first. I am just confused about the variance on backlinks from on check to another.

So far I rank on page two using some search terms for the local area. There are the typical paid ranks above me(Angie's list, build zoom, yp.com, etc) but I am trying to get onto page one over the next few months.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Probably only half of the seo people out there really have a clue about what they are doing. Look for someone who does local seo, its a thing now a days. A 80-200 page website with good on page will rank better then some moron's outsourced india seo butchery. Focus on the website first imo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Philcav7 made me smile with his words, "...all this seo and ranking crap". I had to make peace quite fast with the never ending change and growth in the technology sector. Everyone knows this saying, but it still is valid, now more than ever: "Change is the only constant in technology".

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Probably only half of the seo people out there really have a clue about what they are doing. Look for someone who does local seo, its a thing now a days. A 80-200 page website with good on page will rank better then some moron's outsourced india seo butchery. Focus on the website first imo.
JBM are you sure you don't do SEO as a career? :laughing:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have used a couple different backlink check tools and they show different results. One will show 40, another 9, and another shows 0??? What is a good site for me to use for accurate info?

Also, any suggestions where to build more backlinks? I have registered on almost all the directories/yellow pages and such, but as you know they are almost always coded no follow. Any suggestions for building more quality links?

I'm new to seo and trying to learn this stuff. I still have a lot to finish on my site, but am chipping away at it.

Thanks.
good link about backlink checking tools http://www.matthewwoodward.co.uk/ex...majestic-seo-seomoz-raven-tools-seo-spyglass/

Your not going to find a backlink tool that picks up every backlink, majestic seo is pretty good, I think they have a free option if you tie your website into there system. Seomoz or moz tends to under-report your backlinks.

Making backlinks for your website is good, making good backlinks for your website is better. The backlink creation wars are pretty much over now. However if you hell bent for leather, check out gsa. Be familiar with seo terms such as googles penguin, and hummingbird. If you have customers that own business's, ask them to get your website on there, like " we partner with bobs flooring" or asked to be blogged or offer a guest blogging spot. The more you place your homepage link to other good sites the better, but don't go overboard.

·
Marketing Ninja
26 Posts
As tutran mentioned, ahrefs.com is good for a backlink count.

But it's a tough game Phil, and the rules are always changing.

Even so, there's a few tried and true things to know that won't change.

-Quality over quantity. 1 link from CNN will far outweigh 1,000 links from .tk spam sites.
-Google is looking for 'natural' back links. So forum signatures don't have as much weight as mid-sentence links from a blog post on a regularly updated website. That said, forum signatures will help, and you may even get some traffic from it.

That said, it can be more difficult to get quality links. I'd recommend offering to write a guest article for sites in a complementary market. If there are any educational institutions that teach your craft (what immediately comes to mind is wood working or metal fabrication), take a look at their website. A lot of schools have blogs, and if you may be able to get an article published. A link from a .edu can be very helpful for SEO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Phil...from using some SEO 'professionals' and personal experience over the last 6 months, I can tell you for certain that all back-link check tools will give you a different result - and the deeper you look into it with alternative tools, the wider the inconsistencies become...

People also do have their preferences, and some for their own personal benefit. However, what can be monitored over time (3,6,9, and 12 months - it takes months), is that you should at least see an upward trend in links registering in different tools (even if they are all different).

Google Analytics will be the best place in the end - links take longer to actually show here though. Also never pay for any tool - always use the free versions if you are going to use them. I use Woorank because it gives other useful info.

Then you could always type in your URL into Google and do a manual search yourself and actually see what is coming up under your website address. Lastly, remember that they are all snapshots from varying time frames, so this does not help too (delays in showing, lags, not real time).

On a better note, if you want an idea of where to link to, you could do what some 'experts' call 'backward engineering'. Simply see who are ranking at the top of where you want to be for your selected keywords, and you use those domains as well. You will also see their keywords too - in the titles and descriptions that show up in the search engines results pages... Opensiteexplorer.org will help you with this.

The good news though is that it is quality that works, not quantity. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google +, Yelp, etc., these 'standard musts'. Be varied - niche directories, social media, blogs postings, forums, Scootpit, Hubpages, etc.

In the end, from 3 - 6 months ownwards you will begin to get an accurate link map of your website from the more accurate tools.

The best advice I got for free was from a workshop by an SEO company, and I have shared some of that here. They also did say that you can do it yourself...and they are right!

Speak to as many people as you can - even get free appraisals, and then work on the recommendations yourself.

Oh yes, I forgot to say that ranking for 1 or two words keyword phrases will take the best part of a year to see results... Keyword phrases of 3 words etc., started showing and delivering results from 3 months.

Lastly, brainstorm 50 - 100 ways that people can search for your website, and use Google Adwords to determine the monthly local / global searches of the phrases - obvously you want to be ranking for the ones that bring the most traffic.

We do SEO inhouse now for our website www.qatarconstructionreview.com and have no immediate plans to pay £350 - £500 a month. It's not a 'dark arts', it just takes time, and that's really what you are paying for. If you have time, then you can learn and do it yourself.

Good luck!

·
Sell by Educating
12 Posts
Phil, if you want more info on link building, checkout Neil Patel's Advanced Guide to Link Building. He also has a guide to SEO.

Do you know what keywords you're trying to rank for? And how difficult they are to rank for? If you focus on longer phrases and write blog posts answering peoples questions that are related to what you sell (like the questions you are always getting from prospects/leads/clients) you won't have to put all that effort into learning about backlinking, and will probably get some nice results without ever having a link strategy.

Link strategies are vital to industries/niches that are saturated in content, not so much for ones that aren't like construction. Just saying, I'd rather do the least amount of work for the biggest return & only increase my efforts if I don't get the desired results.

I got a client ranking for 25 sales generating keywords without ever developing a link strategy. The more competitive the keyword, the more effort that will need to be put in. It is entirely possible to quickly rank for a keyword that gets decent search volume with only some on-page optimization if there is little competition for it.
http://www.quicksprout.com/the-advanced-guide-to-link-building/

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
It is entirely possible to quickly rank for a keyword that gets decent search volume with only some on-page optimization if there is little competition for it.
Wow no one says stuff like that except me.

If you link quicksprout here people will have seizures :laughing:

·
Sell by Educating
12 Posts
Wow no one says stuff like that except me.

If you link quicksprout here people will have seizures :laughing:
We gotta straighten out all the overnight "online marketing gurus" who give the industry such a bad rep. I mean, who doesn't know someone who has been burned my some sh*t self-proclaimed expert marketer?

Hahahaha yea, I'm sure a few heads will spin. Hey, if someone has the time to learn everything for themselves, I may as well point them in the right direction.

·
Sell by Educating
12 Posts
BTW JBM, I'm new to the forum, but so far I've seen your posts on a lot of threads and I gotta say...your knowledge of all things related to online marketing is impressive, especially for someone that isn't in the industry. Hell, you're more knowledgeable than a great deal of the people IN the industry. How'd that happen?

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
We gotta straighten out all the overnight "online marketing gurus" who give the industry such a bad rep.
:whistling......:smartass:

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
BTW JBM, I'm new to the forum, but so far I've seen your posts on a lot of threads and I gotta say...your knowledge of all things related to online marketing is impressive, especially for someone that isn't in the industry. Hell, you're more knowledgeable than a great deal of the people IN the industry. How'd that happen?

I have a lot of holes in what I know. Thats the problem with self taught people :laughing:

The other forum I hang out in I ask questions in the newb section still.

Few people have the will power to read up on something as boring as seo for a couple thousand hours. I suppose if I put that effort into html I might actually have a skill.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts