Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats everyone thoughts on a mini trackhoe vs a standard backhoe for various utiity work (sewer, water, small rcp, ect). We have two cat 416 and cat 320 and we have had wondered if the small mini hoe's would have much advantage over the rubber tired hoes. The zero turn feature seems like a nice feature.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
whats everyone thoughts on a mini trackhoe vs a standard backhoe for various utiity work (sewer, water, small rcp, ect). We have two cat 416 and cat 320 and we have had wondered if the small mini hoe's would have much advantage over the rubber tired hoes. The zero turn feature seems like a nice feature.
I don't use a 416/410/580 "scratcher" unless a mini-excavator and wheel loader (or skid-steer) can't otherwise be had.

·
MHIC licensed contractor
154 Posts
I had takeuchi tb175 on lease for a while and i really liked it. I could unlock the boom and it would pivot like a backhoe without swinging the cab, for those tight areas. It was essential to have a skidsteer for sanding and backfill, hdpe gas mains required compacted sand.

I could "mobile" rubber tire hoes from job to job if the sites were close. The excavator and the skidsteer could be moved on a rollback.

The only thing i missed about the hoes ws the ability to "level" myself while digging with the stabilizers and front bucket. If the ground is not level with the excavator, your trench wont be plumb, really sketchy if you are going deep. The heavy front of the how keeps you planted on the ground, the excavator tries to lift itself when you are digging roots and large rock.

The hoe was easier to lift cable reels and transformers, and move tools and equipment around the jobsite (generators and fusion, cones ect).

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
chris,

Are you in a position to own both machines?

Is the small excavator going to be used more than 50 % of the time?

Do you need a loader on the job?

Does a backhoe fill the need for small trenching and loading chores?

I'm sure these are all thing's you have considered.

We own a Cat 426 and an Akerman H3B (18,000 lbs) they have there place. The Akerman is the machine of choice BUT the backhoe does come to the rescue at times. The backhoe in the yard as a loader / forklift / back up makes me sleep better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We do utility and sight work 4 yrs agr had 2 580 case backhoe now we have 1 backhoe and 2 minx my operators much prefer the minix over the backhoes likley you will need a skid steer
I think the mini x is the way to go (for our company at least)
Our backhoe we put 200 hrs on in 09 1 of the mini x (a kubota 161-3) about 1300 hrs:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts