Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is James and I have been reading through the forums. I hope you can help me as I was more confident with my application before reading some of the horror stories.
I have applied for my c-20 license. I have a criminal history that was very extensive as a youth/young adult. I got a live scan for myself before applying so that I did not miss anything. I have not had any contact with the law in 12 years and have noted every last citation on my application filing a seperate form for each offense with an explanation and disposition for each. I wrote a nice letter explaining my downfalls and rehabilitation. I was under the impression that once they issued my test date I was rolling right along. Now hearing some of the wait times from others and seeing that the cslb is just now showing the CBU on my status, I am nervous. I suppose my question is, Are they just now looking at my background, or have they considered it before passing it on? They have had it for 2 months.
Also does dly mean Delay?
03/14/2014 APPLICATION RECEIVED
03/21/2014 PRINTED ACKNLDGMNT LTTR TO APPLCNT
04/11/2014 ROUTED TO EXP ANALYST FOR REVIEW
04/28/2014 APPLICATION RETURNED TO PROGRM TECH
04/28/2014 APPLICATION POSTED
04/28/2014 REFERRED TO EXAM SCHEDULING - BOTH
04/29/2014 NOTICE TO APPEAR FOR EXM 05/22/2014
04/29/2014 PRINTED LIVE SCAN PACKET
05/06/2014 APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-DLY
05/22/2014 EXAM SCHEDULED FOR BOTH LAW & TRADE

Please offer any advice or encouragement here, I am a father of four and trying to figure out if I need to go get a job :mad:while this transpires. Thanks in advance all of your responses seem very helpful. Jimmy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, my name is James and I have been reading through the forums. I hope you can help me as I was more confident with my application before reading some of the horror stories.
I have applied for my c-20 license. I have a criminal history that was very extensive as a youth/young adult. I got a live scan for myself before applying so that I did not miss anything. I have not had any contact with the law in 12 years and have noted every last citation on my application filing a seperate form for each offense with an explanation and disposition for each. I wrote a nice letter explaining my downfalls and rehabilitation. I was under the impression that once they issued my test date I was rolling right along. Now hearing some of the wait times from others and seeing that the cslb is just now showing the CBU on my status, I am nervous. I suppose my question is, Are they just now looking at my background, or have they considered it before passing it on? They have had it for 2 months.
Also does dly mean Delay?
03/14/2014 APPLICATION RECEIVED
03/21/2014 PRINTED ACKNLDGMNT LTTR TO APPLCNT
04/11/2014 ROUTED TO EXP ANALYST FOR REVIEW
04/28/2014 APPLICATION RETURNED TO PROGRM TECH
04/28/2014 APPLICATION POSTED
04/28/2014 REFERRED TO EXAM SCHEDULING - BOTH
04/29/2014 NOTICE TO APPEAR FOR EXM 05/22/2014
04/29/2014 PRINTED LIVE SCAN PACKET
05/06/2014 APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-DLY
05/22/2014 EXAM SCHEDULED FOR BOTH LAW & TRADE

Please offer any advice or encouragement here, I am a father of four and trying to figure out if I need to go get a job :mad:while this transpires. Thanks in advance all of your responses seem very helpful. Jimmy
Hey,

I am in the same boat. Did you get your license? Can you tell me how long it took you to get cleared and get the license? Thanks

·
School Director
64 Posts
Two months is about right. Chaffinz did the right thing disclosing all criminal background because the Contractors Board will see everything once the criminal background is run. A misdemeanor over three years old, or a felony over seven years old does not count nearly as much as a more recent offense. The reason it is taking so long is that the CBU (Criminal Background Unit) has a workload to get through before they clear an application that has been forwarded to them. Anyone who has a criminal background that may affect licensing is reviewed by the CBU. It doesn't mean that your application is being denied, but they have to get eyeballs on the application before they can clear it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well my problem is that, I wrote disposition for all of my juvy and adult cases, I called cbu and they tell me that I cleared the doj for the state portion, but I have not been cleared by federal. My arrests were from a different state. My question is, if doj clears me, does that mean same thing as being cleared by cbu? This is driving me mad.

·
School Director
64 Posts
No, it does not mean that you are clear. You have to clear the California Department of Justice and the FBI. Since the offenses were out of state, the FBI is probably checking the disposition of those convictions. Sometimes they are not available electronically and the FBI may have to contact the city, county or state that has the paper trail. So you will have to wait for that to come through and for the CBU to look at it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im on the same boat as all you guys!!!! The cbu asked for additiona . Information so i faxed it over to them asap!!! Still have not heard from the 2 voicemails later

·
Registered
34 Posts
11/04/2014 - PASSED TRADE EXAM
11/06/2014 - APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-DLY
11/07/2014 - APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-DLY
01/17/2015 - CODING REJECT FROM ISSUANCE UNIT
01/17/2015 - EXTENDED VOID DATE
01/28/2015 - APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-FBI
02/02/2015 - UNDER REVIEW
02/02/2015 - CBU REQUESTS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

That is my status right now

·
Registered
14 Posts
11/04/2014 - PASSED TRADE EXAM
11/06/2014 - APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-DLY
11/07/2014 - APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-DLY
01/17/2015 - CODING REJECT FROM ISSUANCE UNIT
01/17/2015 - EXTENDED VOID DATE
01/28/2015 - APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-FBI
02/02/2015 - UNDER REVIEW
02/02/2015 - CBU REQUESTS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

That is my status right now
robscape,

few questions for you,

looking at your status, did you have some arrests that you wrote down? The reason why I ask, is I had some extensive records while I was young( more then 12 years ago), and I think that is whats taking so long. It looks like FBI took almost 3 months to clear you and send the RAP sheet to CBU for review. I am sure the holidays had some affect for the additional delays. What kind of additional information did the CBU ask for? Here is what mine looks like, I keep calling CBU to check on my status everyday, but all they say is, "it hasn't cleared by DOJ" One thing though, they did tell me that even if I get cleared with DOJ, CBU is currently working on receive date of 2/5/15 as of today. So there will be additional 2 to 3 weeks after it has been cleared by DOJ.

10/17/2014 - APPLICATION RECEIVED
10/23/2014 - PRINTED ACKNLDGMNT LTTR TO APPLCNT
10/27/2014 - APPLICATION RETURNED FOR CORRECTION
10/27/2014 - SPEC PROJ - EXPERIENCE VERIFICATION
10/27/2014 - W-2'S/PAY STUBS & DUTY STATEMENT RE
10/27/2014 - QUESTED FROM APPLICANT FOR WORK EXP
10/27/2014 - ONLY PRESIDENT LISTED ON APP.LETTER
10/27/2014 - SENT ASKING FOR HIM TO LIST SEC. &
10/27/2014 - TREAS. ON APPLICATION.
12/01/2014 - RETURNED APP RECEIVED BACK AT CSLB
12/01/2014 - CORRECTIONS SENT TO BE SCANNED
12/01/2014 - APP SENT TO SUPERVISOR FOR REVIEW
12/02/2014 - APP TO CASE MGMT FOR FLAG REVIEW
12/15/2014 - INSTRUCTIONS RETURNED FRM CASE MGMT
12/15/2014 - RETURNED APP RECEIVED BACK AT CSLB
12/15/2014 - NAME CHANGE MADE
12/16/2014 - APPLICATION POSTED
12/16/2014 - WAIVER BOND AND FEE LETTER SENT
12/16/2014 - NEED CONTRACTORS BOND
12/16/2014 - FINGERPRINTS NEEDED - LETTER SENT
12/16/2014 - NEED THE INITIAL LICENSE FEE
12/17/2014 - PRINTED LIVE SCAN PACKET
12/19/2014 - PRINTED DUPLICATE LIVE SCAN PACKET
01/05/2015 - APP TO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND UNIT-DLY

·
Registered
34 Posts
( kelvina)
I checked the box that says ...have you ever been arrested etc...i checked yes but i forgot to fill out the dates of the arrest..so when it cleared fbi and doj when it was under review the cbu needed the information i did not fill out . I had to fill out a new disclosure statement and send it back to cbu... its been about a week n a half. Since i faxed it over.... i think they are just really backed up right now due to the fbi and doj.... have you called the doj???

·
Registered
14 Posts
( kelvina)
I checked the box that says ...have you ever been arrested etc...i checked yes but i forgot to fill out the dates of the arrest..so when it cleared fbi and doj when it was under review the cbu needed the information i did not fill out . I had to fill out a new disclosure statement and send it back to cbu... its been about a week n a half. Since i faxed it over.... i think they are just really backed up right now due to the fbi and doj.... have you called the doj???
Robscape,

Yea, I checked YES on the box and even sent in my arrest record along with disposition for each arrest. From my research, there is no way to contact the DOJ, I can only call the CBU and ask for status update. I am almost going on 2 months since being delayed. Is there a way to contact the DOJ on my status? Also, if you can please keep updating your status on here, I would appreciate it. (just to get an idea on how things are moving) Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is the number for the dept of justice..9162273332. You are going to need to enter youre (ati) number along with youre date of birth... this will give you a update on youre livescan.... the ati number is on the bottom of your livescan form u recieved when you sid your fingerprints....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is the number for the dept of justice..9162273332. You are going to need to enter youre (ati) number along with youre date of birth... this will give you a update on youre livescan.... the ati number is on the bottom of your livescan form u recieved when you sid your fingerprints....
Thank you robscape,

I called both numbers, first number 3332, I got to talk to someone, but she said that she can't tell me anything, she said CSLB has to contact her directly and she can forward them to the person working on my case. Second number, the IVR, it confirmed both my ATI and DOB but my app was not found... CBU assured me that they have the app, and it just may be a techinical error and try again.
I called my tech and she told me that she has already asked her manager to contact DOJ because its been taking too long. I guess there is another guy thats been waiting since 12/17/14. She told me to call her back on Friday. I guess I will post an update this Friday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I just got off the phone with cbu, my app has finally cleared and its in the hands of the cbu for review. They are doing a manual review and they are currently working on 2/10/15. I will post back next week. I feel like its finally getting closer...

·
Registered
34 Posts
App to criminal by unit 1-28-15. Under review. 2-2-15 i faced over additional info I waited about a week then called back they said they lost the fax... So I faced over a new copy... It took about 3 to 4 days to clear cbu...

·
Registered
14 Posts
App to criminal by unit 1-28-15. Under review. 2-2-15 i faced over additional info I waited about a week then called back they said they lost the fax... So I faced over a new copy... It took about 3 to 4 days to clear cbu...
So you have your license now??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts