Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, not exactly in my back yard, but only a 45 minute round trip including loading and and strapping stuff down.

Looks to be from 1943. Oliver 88D. Missing the quadrant gauge. Only real issue I see is that it is probably 440 volt only.

I almost feel bad about how cheap it was.

Attachments

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very cool piece......could the motor be re-wound for 220 at least?
Yes, or I could use a transformer to step up the voltage. There is an outside possibility that the motor is actually dual voltage and they left the other leads inside the motor housing. The saw has to come apart to get to the motor.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
If you open the access door, there should be a tag on the rear of the motor. Might be a woods motor.......

I see that she's a slider.....:thumbup: does it operate ok...:blink: , was the 88D left outside......? how bad is that rust.....:blink: you keeping her...:blink:

Nice saw D........

B,

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Strange things happen....

Might be rewired...mine was,...had 440 stamped on it...not a 440 motor, then a really bad "re-stamp" over the voltage/amps...

So what are your plans with the 88D?

B,

·
Registered
818 Posts
3 phase motors are pretty cheap to come by if you need one. You could make a rotary phase converter and use it as is. If the babbits are worn, there aren't too many old guys left who can pour new ones.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts