Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I read something a week or so ago about backing up your files online. I have never done this, always used a flash drive, figured I was covered.

Well yesterday my home was burglarized, and my work comp was taken, as well as my flash drive!
I am totally f'd!

Quickbooks, estimates,contracts , everthing!

The scumbags even took kids toys.

I will back up online from now on, and write down every serial number, take it from me you should to.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear what happened. On a side note, backing up to a flash drive is risky as the sort of flash memory in those thumb drives, etc is very unreliable.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Apple's MobileMe has 20GB online backup with synch to an iPod or iPhone. It's $99/year and I'm now giving serious consideration to using it. I already use it for synching but not for backup. They promote it to backup interior home photos for insurance purposes, ID scans and important paperwork scans in case you lose, for example, your passport while traveling.

·
JimmyS
224 Posts
Moby

I use Moby online. It backs up files you select, at a schedule you select. I think it's free up to a certain amount of bytes, then pretty reasonable above that, for my size business. I needed to retrieve a file about a week after I started and it was dead simple to get it back.
I also back up locally to a separate hard drive.
I feel for you - that's a disgusting person who'd rob family + business alike.
Jim

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I backup all my important files to a 64gb thumb drive, and backup both computers to a 1tb external hard drive.

·
copper magnet
806 Posts
I use Dropbox. 2GB free which is more than I need. I also use it to move files between computers like I used to use a thumb drive. I looked at Mozy as another poster mentioned and Dropbox seemed easier to setup and use, IMHO.

I also back up to a portable drive, but it's usually connected to the computer, so in a burglary situation like yours, it would be gone as well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've got all my stuff backed up with Carbonite, It's $55/year. I don't know off hand what the max storage is though.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
The host of my website gives me unlimited disc space, so I have no problems there. The problem I do have is that I have probably 300 GB of info I back up regularly. No, those aren't word docs!

If you have sma amounts, Google has Google Docs or grab an external HD for $50 and back up to that and bring it with you in your vehicle.

Uploading to web servers, that's slow.

·
Nest Home Improvement
890 Posts
Backing up online is good but it is slow. I have used Mozy in the past. Backing up to a thumb drive or external drive is much faster. The price of these drives has come way down in recent years. A bank safety deposit box is your best bet for security. I have heard that drives left in a vehicle can get damaged in heat or cold temperatures.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Advantages to backing up online.... if your house burns down and your external hard drive and computers are toast... Plus I don't want to lose ANY data and I won't be dropping by the safety deposit box everyday to drop my backups off. Every night the data is backed up and mozy only backs up the files that have been changed (or added) to you setup. So while the first backup might take awhile unless you are producing GB's of data everyday it should not be too bad after the first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts