Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally I do hardy backer board then apply the thin set, set the tile, etc but I got a new copy of this old house in the mail today and they did a method I've thought about doing before but never wanted to risk it.

They ruff the drywall up with 80grit sand paper and applied the thin set directly over the drywall, has anyone ever done this? It seems to me liquid nails or construction adhesive would stick to drywall better then thin set.

It's a method im thinking about experimenting on my own house to check the longevity and durability before ever thinking about doing it in a customers house.

Im sure some of you guys have done this, what are your opinions about it?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have been using standard tile adhesive over a plaster or drywall substrate for over 15 years without a call back.

·
tile contractor
979 Posts
Going over drywall is fine, but over plaster, you're taking a huge risk. Plaster has a tendency to draw all the moisture out of the thinset before it really has a chance to bond. You're better off to "paint" some liquid latex over it first, let it dry, and then tile.

·
Master Tile Mechanic
202 Posts
While I use only latex thinset, regular old thinset on drywall will bond well for years, probably outliving mastic in the long run. Mastic gives a more reliable bond over crappy, dusty, wallpaper gluey painted surfaces. Thinset is the only decent material under porcelain or glass. It's situational which to use, but yeah, thinset will bond to drywall for life, especially if you skim it over first with a slurry (watery) first coat to suck in well and negate dust issues.

·
Bathroom Remodeler
622 Posts
For a backsplash, I wouldn't worry to much about using Mastic (probably the only situation I do feel comfortable with mastic).....As long as you remove and ruff up the painted surface...I've definitely had problems before when I went right over a painted surface. :shifty:

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, im going to start doing this method. It will save time and cost not adding backer board.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts
So what i the general consensus here ? Let me see if i have this right. For a kitchen backsplash on painted drywall, first scarify, then use unmodified thinset to set handmade tile, then don't worry about it ? Is that it ? I would rather not use mastic because of the variations in the tile.

Gentlemen, I thank you.

D.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts