Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a service provider on CT and interested in some insight if you'll share it. For those of you who run your own back office (insurance, WC, payroll, accounting, marketing, etc.), what are some of the struggles you face on a regular basis? Anything from having trouble with line items to not getting enough sleep at night because you have so much to do - I'd like to hear it all!

Thanks for sharing,

Erin

·
Registered
230 Posts
I kind of find that a weird question. WC / Insurance, we've got an agent. Not much really happens with that except adding / removing drivers from policy. We need insurance certificates holders named all the time, but thats not really a struggle. Payroll, we have a good low cost payroll company for. Marketing... um I'm good there.

The struggles are mostly things that fall in between all the delegated tasks. Like responding / sorting all emails that come in... handling customer billing disputes.

Here's one struggle, making sure all the marketing integrations are working perfectly. The call rail, google analytics, website conversions, CRM, marketing automation. Keeping those all in line is a real pain.

Now I know there are companies out there that offer an 'all in one solution'... but really they just set up the same 3rd party platforms I already use and my concern with that is: who is consistently cross checking the data? With our integrations my developer has a daily checklist to make sure that all of the data is consistent and everything is functioning properly. A non tech savvy operation couldn't pull that off.

Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
26,661 Posts
I found it so much a problem we hired two people to take care of it lol.

I build stuff not do billing or data entry

·
Super Moderator
26,661 Posts
I didnt even get a qoute for home insurance on my new house. I had them call the office.

#spoiled lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get an office assistant

I learned early in my business career that you can't do everything yourself.

We hire a office manager to look after all of the back end responsibilities such as payroll, insurance, submitting quotes, monthly followups with our clients etc

Worth the money as it means we can focus on providing a great customer experience and our business has grown faster than most others because of it!
I know other people in my industry who work 12hr days doing everything themselves and the business actually goes backwards because of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A Bit of pertinent info: Union Contractor, California, Sage 100 Contractor.

After being awarded a job, we have to produce a budget to enter into Sage. Estimators are supposed to do this and all of them have varying ways of Job Costing. There is a lot of time spent converting the random numbers produced by the estimator into SAGE friendly format. We are working on automating some of this and introducing systems that are required.

From there you have the Insurance and bonding questions. Bonding is usually easy enough to send to the agent, but everything has to be prepared correctly.

Insurance: Is is OCIP? CCIP? Is there a credit or anything that has to be included or paid for?

Payroll: 3rd Party? Textura? LCP Tracker? Is it s system that SAGE will produce a usable report for? Or is it all going to have to be entered in by hand? Let alone transferring money for automatic payroll.

Cashflow Projections: We currently use a custom spreadsheet because that is how the Girl has done it for years. Sage may have this capability, I haven't researched it.

Liens: What, how, and when?

Prequals: What's the current EMR? Recordable Case Percentage?

Changes and Billings: Do they match? Are we current? WE have to do each Billing using the Contractors specific forms.

Paying Subs, Paying Vendors, CC reconciliations, Warranties, Releases, etc., etc....

I guess our biggest problem is time. It all takes time, and it's not something that you can just let anybody do. Also finding the time to train someone cuts into to limited time to perform everything already.

We have made some strides in the right direction, but the problem is like most everybody, you know you need to fix things, but are too busy to spend the time/money until it becomes an emergency.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured many of the folks on here would have this sorted out but since I have the resource here why not ask.

We're in beta with our back office contractor services and it's been pretty eye opening. Luckily we have some clients who are working with us as we go and it's been helpful having their input on what more we could offer, what they'd never want to pay for, what we need to step up... etc.

I'm a grade A lurker on here myself since it helps me better understand my clients and all that they do or might encounter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
We're in beta with our back office contractor services and it's been pretty eye opening. Luckily we have some clients who are working with us as we go and it's been helpful having their input on what more we could offer, what they'd never want to pay for, what we need to step up... etc.
What services will you provide, and who is your potential customer?

In most cases, the money isn't a problem if the value is there. But the Value needs to be easily seen and clearly communicated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What services will you provide, and who is your potential customer?

In most cases, the money isn't a problem if the value is there. But the Value needs to be easily seen and clearly communicated.

Right now our customer are general and subcontractors who have either a. been in the game a while but stayed small enough that they've somehow managed their books and office on their own or with help (spouse). or b. newly licensed contractors who want to start off on the right foot and not have to worry about learning accounting on the way.

Our main column of support is accounting, payroll, reports, 1099s, etc. We offer monthly subscription so it's way more affordable than someone trying to hire part time help. We offer branding/business ID (website set up, cards, etc.) for those who are so inclined.

We also offer help with lien notices, estimates, proposals and more. This hasn't been so desired and I'm aware of many apps who can assist with such a service, so it will be interesting to see what the need for this is over time.

Based on our clients (a handful) thus far, I foresee a large stake of our work will be based in the financial arena.

We want to make outsourcing the headache an easy option while also educating (weekly reports, emails w/ explanations P&L, more) to better understand this side of their business.

Phew. :glasses:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts