Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I have a design question regarding a back sliding door overhang that a client of mine is interested in. No drawings or sketches, she just wants something that will protect from some weather.

In my framing experience I haven't come across designing a specific element like this and was hoping for some ideas I can present her with. Not a gable roof and probably not any columns.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
My thoughts are that you should at least provide us with a pic or a sketch so that we have some clue as to what you are referring to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thoughts are that you should at least provide us with a pic or a sketch so that we have some clue as to what you are referring to.
Ha that's my problem. Sorry don't have a pic - it's just a sliding back door, vinyl sided house.

All she asks is 'I want a roof here'. Now, she's a friend, I'm trying to come up with some ideas for her

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Ah I'm over in Bucks.

What was your attachment like for that bastard hip?
Welcome neighbor!...Solid masonry house there so I used 5/8" x 5 1/2" stainless sleeve anchors at 16 oc along top and sides.

Made it on a bench and propped it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
On sorta the same thought here? Been on 2 jobs in the last 2 weeks, that the patio doors are leaking during a mild to heavy rain! Are the door made the way the were, or just cheap/cheap, now? The doors line up, operate good, and not a garbage brand door. One is a Pella, the other Anderson. Both of them are approx. 2-3 years old. BOTH customer DON'T want a roof built!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome neighbor!...Solid masonry house there so I used 5/8" x 5 1/2" stainless sleeve anchors at 16 oc along top and sides.

Made it on a bench and propped it up.

Thanks! Think Ill suggest this - open to design suggestions though. I think I prefer the bastard hip vs just a shed roof with siding....

You know your appx man hours on that one?

Here's a pic of the door.

Attachments

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
I've built the floating overhang porches over doors but pre planned the framing by adding solid framing where the roof bolts to house, mainly at the ridge and at the beams and then used 45 degree brackets bolted to wall ( also pre planned blocking) to hold it up on the wall. looks really good with no posts but takes pre planning to get all the structural details worked out. going onto an existing wall with no prep in the wall could be a challenge. there was an equation for how much the porch overhang is allowed to go past the 45 degree bracket but not able to remember exactly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts