Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the nature of the complaint. Room is about 13'x13' with two outdoor walls.

8" supply, 6" or 8" return. Ducts are alright, and we adjusted air flow to make sure there was plenty of supply air. Still, no major changes. I don't think adding another supply will help (ceiling). At this point, I think it's an insulation issue, but, looking for some other ideas.

·
Registered
11,554 Posts
Could be lack of insulation in walls, ceiling or behind the window casing. I just redid a wall where that was the issue, and it was easy to tell by putting my hand on the walls, etc.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Could be uninsulated floor/box, excessive crawl ventilation, lack of or insufficient ceiling insulation, wet insulation due to improper paper/flashing, gaps from improper window installation, exposure to wind/ north side of building with no solar gain.... just a few things to consider, or all of the above.

Reactions: the rock

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
It's either insufficient heat or too much heat loss. Which is cheapest to fix, considering long term fuel bills? If it's new construction done moderately well, it seems like it's just an insufficient heat issue. I like the booster fan idea, or bigger or more ducts if easy.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's either insufficient heat or too much heat loss. Which is cheapest to fix, considering long term fuel bills? If it's new construction done moderately well, it seems like it's just an insufficient heat issue. I like the booster fan idea, or bigger or more ducts if easy.
Perhaps more ducts would be an answer, but, if the issue is really heat loss, we need to find where it's losing the heat. Don't get me wrong, we can easily add another supply, but, if we still have an issue with heat loss, it could get embarrassing.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Temp of conditioned air the same as other rooms?
Is there sufficient C/A return or it's blocked-long convoluted run? Door is probably closed when baby is in there.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Good point about the door being closed.
What is the gap under the doors?
I like to see 3/4 inch.
It sounds like there's a CA return in the room.

Regarding heat loss, can you describe what might make the room different? Two exterior walls for a corner room can make a big difference. 208 square feet (if 8' ceiling) of exterior walls vs another room not on the corner could be double the heat loss. Often the ceiling is almost nothing compared to walls when doing heat loss calculations.

How many floors is the house and what floor is the room on? If it's upstairs, it's probably not infiltration. You could try restricting the return in the room so any airflow is leaving the room, or do a cheap smoke test to see where it's leaking if that's the case.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts