Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We installed a deck approximately 850 square feet and on a section using almost 20' lengths there are two boards out of 31 pcs that the color is noticeably different. The customer noticed more so when it rained and the water reacted differently and highlighted the color difference. I contacted my rep. and supplier and they sent some deck wash and Deckmax that helps the water bead the same but not the color difference. Just wondering if anyone else experienced the same issue and if so how it was resolved. I understand from the Azek rep. that certain colors have this issue but overtime look the same. Not sure about that.

Attachments

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
So you bought and installed 850 square feet of Azek and two of the pieces were off color and Azeks solution was to send you crap to wipe on the rest of the good boards? That's exactly what I've heard about their customer support but it's still pretty shocking.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It happens, my first experience with Azek was the same as op's . I called my lumber yard and both times they replaced what was defective with in a few hours . If you have a good relation with your lumber yard let them dance with Azek , you have enough to do and it shouldn't be your problem .

·
Artist and not a curator
12,843 Posts
In lieu of being accused of being an ahole wood guy... No comment.

Although from a business perspective, I'd call BS and never use that companies product again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never had this happen. Some of Azeks color are really similar, is there a chance it's a different color and not just a bad board? Also how did you fasten this? If you used hidfast then no biggie but man tearing out a deck that's been screwed and plugged with cortex is pure hell. Your deck looks really good though!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never had this happen. Some of Azeks color are really similar, is there a chance it's a different color and not just a bad board? Also how did you fasten this? If you used hidfast then no biggie but man tearing out a deck that's been screwed and plugged with cortex is pure hell. Your deck looks really good though!
Looking at my color samples the only other one it could be would be Morado. The Acacia looks too different. I have never done a complete deck using Morado so I only have a 6" long sample so it is hard to tell.
I used the Hidfast method on the problem boards so I could remove them but I would have to use Cortex in some areas if I were to replace them.
Yes the deck had lots of miter cuts and working around a hot tub with an enclosure. A little jacking and cutting required. It was a combination refurbish the old and add the new to the deck.
I have used Azek a lot on a number of decks without issue. I will have to get the rep to site to review.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
We had a similar issue with their Morado last year. Kinda noticeable, not a big deal to me. Azek rep was not overly helpful, basically said file a claim on their warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts