Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any comments on the problems people are posting about Azek (Procell) at "This Old House"? I may prefer to recommend using wood and stain as needed.

click-advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=6824

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
This stuff is not what we generley call composite but its made up from several things so.....what the Hell its a Composite.

Damm shame for those Folks thats a lot of mola being put out for not geting what the hype said they would but have we seen this before??? In Fact is there any manmade we have Not heard this about.

Is it the adversting,the testing, greed,a major batch problem,..or is it just a bunch of guys with an idea and a market just waiting for them.

Far as manmade goes I have to go back to the treads on the outside stairway of Butler Manor, moisture shield knock off for the box stores corect deck two coats of twp. They look brand new after 10 years. Soft composite with a finish put on right away thats the only crap shoot I would pitch with manmade. JonMon

·
Remodeling Contractor
26 Posts
That is very strange, what are the odds they decks are all from the same general "batch" "lot #s"
I have about 25-30 decks made with Procell/Azek, have yet to get a complaint...

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I have to say, the ol fastcat's web site is the most stupid area I have drifted on over to in maney a moon.

The JonMon is showing Major restraint, belive me on this one.

·
Remodeling Contractor
26 Posts
I haven't built the website yet (as you can see)
I've been in talks all week with the "web guru"
I hope to have the site up & running by the weekend

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
The way I read that is, there are
about nine people ticked off with
no one else jumping on their bandwagon.
You could find more than nine people
who complain about ice cream and
4th of July fireworks.

Someone on here (Breyer?) posted
about the sunscreen problem a couple
of years ago, and that's the only
real problem I've ever heard of.

·
Remodeling Professionals
1,267 Posts
That was probably me, posting about the problems with Azek deck and sunscreen/bug repellent. According to a conversation with my local Azek rep, they are aware of the problem but have yet to find a solution. They are supposedly releasing an Azek cleaner soon, we'll see if that helps. They have added a paragraph in the care and maintenance section of their install guidelines that mentions these chemicals.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
That was probably me, posting about the problems with Azek deck and sunscreen/bug repellent. According to a conversation with my local Azek rep, they are aware of the problem but have yet to find a solution. They are supposedly releasing an Azek cleaner soon, we'll see if that helps. They have added a paragraph in the care and maintenance section of their install guidelines that mentions these chemicals.
Yeah, they have it right there
on their web site.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
if you are trying to get sticky from tape or stickers off of azek use goof off. In the yellow can, cleans that crap right off and no adverse side effects (melting or whatever) FYI. With anything... take a cut off piece and try your solvent/cleaner BEFORE you try it on on the main piece.. otherwise you get what you get..neglected to do.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have seen Azek get kinda chalky white on two decks Ive built... No complaints on any others. IMO it seems if its gets some shade during the day...problem solved. Hopefully they can get this fixed cause Id like to build some decks out in the sun too.:whistling

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,
I installed an Azek deck in April 2010. The new color Tahoe in 6" grey picture frame w/ 4" slate grey in the field. I am starting to see "oxidation" stains only on the Tahoe picture frame. This new color is a wrap board not full color through & through like the slate boards. They are not real bad yet. You see white blotches in random areas. The HO wanted to do the dock area as well but is now holding off to see what develops. Anyone out there have a fix? The local lumber yard offered to replace the boards but not the labor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the company i work for is at the forefront of useing this material and overall all i can say is that it looks amazing and does what all the great things the ads say but it truely sucks balls to work with. So, to conclude for customer = awesome and installer = lame. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts