·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
With all the expansion and contraction of the Azek, I would still use mechanical fasteners, maybe some tapcons countbored and plugged. The glue will hold, but I think the movement between the concrete and Azek over time will weaken the bond.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
from where I'm sitting, I don't think the transition you have now looks bad.

Just adding railings IMO would pull the porch together well enough...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are not adding railings to the porch. It was just an idea the wife had to finish off the front of the slab. I liked the idea because it would give me room to box out the bottom of the columns with Azek to make them look like this mailbox post at the bottom, otherwise they are too close to the edge. (a little taller than this mailbox post)

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I think i see what you are trying to accomplish, it looks from the photograph that some of the veneer sits proud of the cement deck, when standing on the deck you will see random pieces of stone that stick out. As the condition exists water will get down into that opening and eventually the freeze and thaw could start poping pieces. If you add azek you will still have a seam that is visible from the top and will collect water and debris. If it where my house i would break up a nice piece of copper, cut a kerf into the cement, and cap the whole detail off. This will take care of water penetration, will conciel the edge variation of the stone, and IF DONE CORRECTLY, will look real nice. G

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
. If it where my house i would break up a nice piece of copper, cut a kerf into the cement, and cap the whole detail off. This will take care of water penetration, will conciel the edge variation of the stone, and IF DONE CORRECTLY, will look real nice. G
Gene - this is a very good idea. Will look awesome next to the natural stone.

If Done Correctly being the operative phrase here. Maybe even worth bringing in a metal guy if it is something the o/p is not comfortable with.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im kind of surprised code or your home owners insurance doesnt want a railing on the porch, that has to be pushing 40+ inches on the high end isnt it?
Once the beds are filled in, the step off is 2 feet. We do not want railings, though I see your point with the insurance thing. 30" is the maximum it could be before the AHJ says something, that is why we built the beds.

As much as I hate to say this, we are not looking to spend a lot of money, and if Azek wasn't an option, we were just going to rub it and be done. That sounds like the way to go, not really keen on fastening every 12 inches. That's 70 feet of Azek, thats a lot of drilling and filling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.