Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont do decks..just curious as i may get mine re done. When using azek decking, do you guys pre drill holes and counter sink the screws?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used the HIDfast system recently and was pretty happy with it. Gaps were a little tighter then I like but they held tight, was fast and no slotted decking. Hate seeing face nailed decking.

·
Windwash
595 Posts
One other option is to face screw it using color matched SS screws. I haven't done the hid fast so don't know the cost but face screwing is less $ than the Camo and way less $$$ than the Cortex.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cortex

I used the Cortex system in an Azek deck I built about 3 years ago. The Cortex plugs are in the deck boards, steps, and benches, all of the plugs are still flush with the boards.

If you have one of the new Azek Building Product brochures you can see the deck on page #06.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Only required to predrill if the screw is within 1/2" of board end or at a mitered joint.

·
Deck Parts Retailer
3,108 Posts
Only required to predrill if the screw is within 1/2" of board end or at a mitered joint.
edge of board?

I don't install the stuff or any other cellular pvc for that matter, I think it is overpriced.

IMO pvc only has an advantage over 4 sided capstock decking in close ground applications, totally enclosed decks, or docks and stuff close to the water.

·
Registered
753 Posts
It could mean that. 2 guys with 8 Camo tools can put down a board pretty quickly. Of course, not HIDfast quick, but the spacing and hold down on the Camo system is excellent.
That is the key...consistent spacing. Don't let them start walking out.
Then you're golden.
Camo has worked well for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts