Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lawsuits against Azek have been consolidated in New Jersey .

It's a good thing for the livid Customers but bad thing for traveling there.

Bridges have a habit of closing down at the worst times and for interesting reasons.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/business/cpg-faces-potential-class-action-lawsuit-1.1646237

"A local building product manufacturer faces a potential class-action lawsuit alleging its decking boards didn't perform as advertised.

Three lawsuits against CPG International of Scranton regarding its Azek decking were recently consolidated in the U.S. District Court of New Jersey as the plaintiffs' attorneys seek to establish a class action.

The plaintiffs cite Azek's advertising and marketing claims, boasting Azek's superiority to other decking. "Wood and composites rot, stain, and fade. Azek doesn't" and phrases such as "Richer, longer lasting color," are listed in the lawsuit.

Suit: PVC degrades

The lawsuit challenges the basis for the promotional claims, alleging that all PVC products are susceptible to degrade and fade with exposure to sunlight and heat. Coloring agent containing titanium dioxide break down and "chalks" on the surface of the decking, the lawsuit said."

They're suing because pvc is acting like pvc:no:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/business/cpg-faces-potential-class-action-lawsuit-1.1646237

"A local building product manufacturer faces a potential class-action lawsuit alleging its decking boards didn't perform as advertised.

Three lawsuits against CPG International of Scranton regarding its Azek decking were recently consolidated in the U.S. District Court of New Jersey as the plaintiffs' attorneys seek to establish a class action.

The plaintiffs cite Azek's advertising and marketing claims, boasting Azek's superiority to other decking. "Wood and composites rot, stain, and fade. Azek doesn't" and phrases such as "Richer, longer lasting color," are listed in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit challenges the basis for the promotional claims, alleging that all PVC products are susceptible to degrade and fade with exposure to sunlight and heat. Coloring agent containing titanium dioxide break down and "chalks" on the surface of the decking, the lawsuit said."

But if its advertised as something different then people who know nothing are misled. I agree though, by these standards any advertisement is false.

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
I read an article about that the other day, they said azek contained design and manufacturing defects and were also deceptively marketed are being consolidated in New Jersey. They also said were cracking, discoloring, fading, chalking etc short time after being installed.
People keep coming out of woodwork's to file lawsuits, this gonna turn into a class action lawsuit before you know... as it was with Trex.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I had a chance to revisit a deck that I installed this past summer . So I wanted to see how it was holding up through this cold and snowy winter .I thought it was a little odd that as I was walking across, it was making a creaking and snapping sound . It kinda of took me by surprise as to what the hell was going on . I didn't feel comfortable , sounded as if it was going to snap under foot . Is this normal for Azek or any pvc decking to sound in sub freezing weather ?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

Funny, I looked through Azek's website and one of their old catalogs. I don't see anything that claims it is fade proof. On their website they list everything except fading, maybe for that reason.

Stain resistant
Scratch resistant
Split resistant
Mold and mildew resistant
Durable and long lasting
Impervious to moisture and insects
Spans a maximum of 16" on-center
Available in Square Shouldered 20' lengths
Available in Grooved 12', 16' and 20' lengths
Limited lifetime warranty
Building Code listings ESR-1667 and CCRR-0101
- See more at: http://www.azek.com/products/deck/xlm#sthash.rcH8NyCN.dpuf

Not sure if it's a lawsuit, but good to know.

And I just noticed in their catalog from 2010 it says at the bottom with all their claims on durability, "Depending on environmental conditions, AZEK Deck colors may appear to lighten over time as part of the natural weathering process".

This false claim on being fade proof isn't there, unless I'm not seeing it somewhere.

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
Eaglei said:
I had a chance to revisit a deck that I installed this past summer . So I wanted to see how it was holding up through this cold and snowy winter .I thought it was a little odd that as I was walking across, it was making a creaking and snapping sound . It kinda of took me by surprise as to what the hell was going on . I didn't feel comfortable , sounded as if it was going to snap under foot . Is this normal for Azek or any pvc decking to sound in sub freezing weather ?
I did one a while back I think it was doing the same thing. I told the HO it suppose to be like that and haven't heard back.
This is the only deck I did in Azek I never liked it and was fortunate enough to talk most HO out of using it.

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
I havent used Azec because I didnt like that the product wasnt solid through. I think it had a foam core. If the shell degraded in the sun the material would be garbage.
JMOP

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I havent used Azec because I didnt like that the product wasnt solid through. I think it had a foam core. If the shell degraded in the sun the material would be garbage.
JMOP
Azek is solid through no foam core.:thumbsup:

Cole

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Yes I work very closely with Azek products. It is solid pvc, and extruded this makes the outside smooth. When you cut it and see a texture those are small air pockets in the pvc. This is why cut ends collect dirt and the smooth extruded sides don't.

The center is just as strong as the outside since it is solid pvc.

Edit:
I can post a picture of the porch flooring I have the display in my shop. IT shows the cut edge and color all the way through. You might be thinking of the handrail system it does have a color skin over the center material. All the decking, porch floor, and trim is solid with color.

Cole

1 - 14 of 14 Posts