Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of Automatic Taping and Finishing Tools do you find most widely used by your drywallers?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I myself own and use Tape Tech tools. Other finishers I know have Premier(are now Blue Line) and Drywall Master but the majority of the finishers I know use Tape Tech

·
love to play in the mud!
25 Posts
Any of u guys know anything about those pneumatic tools from Apla-Tech? We have been in the paint and drywall business fro several years and just now getting around to buying our first automatic tools. Just wondered if i could get some further input before making such a big investment. Thanks in advance for ur input. -Chris Jett Painting & Drywall LLC

·
Metal Stud Framer
180 Posts
You're looking at several thousand dollars for any automatic taping tool set while Ames rents the whole set for dollars a day and they maintain the things for you. It takes years to master a Tube so one might want to rent until they get the hang of it......

·
Registered
54 Posts
You are right, Ames does rent and maintain them, but I for one do not like paying out money for something that I will never own. Besides I own Tape Tech but don't own or use a bazooka. Never did like them, I still use a banjo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the first time i ran my 12 box, you could not get a tooth pick in my butt, i was having a hard time with it. But you get the hang of it after a couple of house and now i can run it fine

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought the Tape Tech power assist boxes for that purpose you had mentioned about your butt ,Red. LOL I still have to apply pressure of course but not near as much as the non power assisted.

I had the Apla Tech system. It was pretty productive once you relearned how to box. It's a totally different method. Bead tabs don't work all that great. You would want to use your own angle heads, not Apla Techs. They don't leave any mud on the angles. The twelve box doesn't work for bedding in but joints, so that was a big no go for me. The Apla Tech rep. will even tell you the 12 is not good for that. I returned them for those reasons and the fact I primarily work by myself and dragging around air hoses while on 10' stilts can be hazardous to your health. I almost bit it a couple of times. Set up and break down time for these tools was a bit excessive for a one man, but for a crew I think these tools would be ideal.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
boardslinger said:
Man you guys are all WAY to technical for me, I only use my 6", 8", 10", and 12" knife.
If you can tape and coat 2 standard 12-1400 sq ft houses a day with 2 guys and your knifes then finish up both the next morning with the texture, by all means keep doing what your doing, otherwise if you want to step up and turn some profits and are specializing in the drywall biz, you HAVE to be up on the latest time savers, otherwise your stuck in the "ole boy" stubborn mentaility that is hurting nobody else but yourself and your bank account. Can you imagine excavators diggin basements with shovels....yeah, it's that big of a deal using the old knife and tape compared to 20th century advances.

This just based off using my drywall subs that knocked out a 900 sq ft shop with 4 different rooms from start to finish before 2 pm for me....2 guys and yes, it looked great when they were done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You're looking at several thousand dollars for any automatic taping tool set while Ames rents the whole set for dollars a day and they maintain the things for you. It takes years to master a Tube so one might want to rent until they get the hang of it......
As far as brands go, they are all copies of Ames, so they are very similar if not identical. Ames also owns half of the other manufacturers, starting with TapeTech. Ames rental is a minimum of 16 days and monthly, the rates are high enough that you can own a set with 6 months rental. With a little video instruction, the tube is mastered in a few weeks. There are videos on YouTube of taping tools in action.

jdl

·
drywaller
101 Posts
The automatic tools are pretty much all a spin off from the original Ames brothers designs from the 1950's

Tapetech, Drywall Master and Columbia are very similar with only slight differences.

The BlueLine is slightly different but still good.

Brands like Goldblatt and Finish Pro (same thing) are a cheaper version with inferior parts and workmanship.

I think Columbia is your best bet. There is a good support network and they have a great product.

·
Registered
39 Posts
good topic, im a commercial framer and hanger and also been doing some finishing, and i tell you the way to go is with uptodate tools.
on the outside i have plenty of hanging jobs and also finish them, some of these hanging jobs are are growing and regular hand tools dont cut it, specially after you get your hands on a zooka and boxes.
my plan is to pick up a pump, boxes,corner roller, and some corner finshing heads. im leaning towards a compound tube.

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
i'm on the fence... if there is a decent learning curve, it might not be best for me, i do maybe 100 boards a year with the work i do... typically bath guts and basements.

i would love to save time finishing, but i dont think i do enough to really learn the tools.

maybe i should just get the boxes and stick to using the knife in the corners......

·
Registered
39 Posts
i'm on the fence... if there is a decent learning curve, it might not be best for me, i do maybe 100 boards a year with the work i do... typically bath guts and basements.

i would love to save time finishing, but i dont think i do enough to really learn the tools.

maybe i should just get the boxes and stick to using the knife in the corners......
I think a compound tube with some appliacator heads may be for u.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts

I think the opposite... most time is spent in the corners so I want tools to go faster. I'm like you as to the amount of rock I finish and that's the problem, if you don't do it every day, I spend a day getting back up to speed again. Corner tools to me are the best money spent.... and tapers.

My two pennies.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
NO!!

If you are doing only small jobs but want to step it up if nothing else get the corner tools! Yes the boxes will have you finishing faster but the corners is where you will save the most amount of time if you get the "big boy tools". At least a roller and a flusher!

Act now, don't walk run and buy these tools now before it is too late!:laughing:

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
I think a compound tube with some appliacator heads may be for u.
whats that?
I think the opposite... most time is spent in the corners so I want tools to go faster. I'm like you as to the amount of rock I finish and that's the problem, if you don't do it every day, I spend a day getting back up to speed again. Corner tools to me are the best money spent.... and tapers.

My two pennies.
you make a great point:thumbsup:
NO!!

If you are doing only small jobs but want to step it up if nothing else get the corner tools! Yes the boxes will have you finishing faster but the corners is where you will save the most amount of time if you get the "big boy tools". At least a roller and a flusher!

Act now, don't walk run and buy these tools now before it is too late!:laughing:
lol... so you suggest just the roller and flusher? knife on the mut and tape first or would i have to use a banjo? i made a big mess the one time i tried to use a banjo i bought from depot:whistling

1 - 20 of 128 Posts