Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a laptop. I want to know if anyone is running Autocad LT on a laptop and how it preforms? Or is a mistake to try it on a laptop. Any tips on specs for said laptop?

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
I am currently running a Dell Precision M70 Mobile Workstation. It is awesome.

I have Autocad and ArchiCad9 and Cinema 4d on it and it is not sluggish at all. :)

I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Magnum, I'm pretty sure there're some guys here running it. Provided you have a decent processor, sufficient memory and adequate disk space, I think you'll find that the platform (desktop, mini-tower, notebook, etc.) does not have an impact on the application's performance.
I use a Gateway notebook as my primary computer (Pentium 4 running at 2.2 GHz, 512 MB ram, 40 gig disk) and plan to add Autocad LT in the months ahead.
As far as brands go, I'm hearing good things about Dell and HP. My Gateway has run flawlessly, almost 24 x 7, since I bought it in Oct. '03. The battery went bad at about 12 months and began causing problems that took me a while to figure out; but once I replaced it the problems stopped.
What are you thinking about buying? I've been playing with the idea of buying a new notebook myself.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I've got a Dell Latitude C840 P4 2.2GHz with 512mb of RAM. I can open Autocad 2002, Autocad 2004, and Primavera all at the same time with no problems (and probably more if I wanted to).

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I haven't even looked into these babies for a few years, obviously they have grown up. Battery life was one of the reasons that I never bought one, #2 has a recent Toshiba and seems to run from plug-in to plug-in. A cohort just bought a new Dell with all of the toys, inc. DVD burner. Jury is still out here.
This is coming from a 2.7 P, dual 512 M and a pair of 130 HD's. #2 is somewhat less sophisticated and running win98. # 3 is a workstation and is mostly dedicated to Catia.
If they will run full ACAD at speed? I may look into one. How about on WiFi?

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I'm setup on 802.11G/B and it works perfectly at work and at home. I can run full autocad and render a 3d model in the background while I'm working on Primavera with no noticeable slow down in performance. Get something like Cole has and you'll definately not see any difference between performance of a desktop.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Man, I gotta get a notebook and join the cool guys here. The last one I had I bought back in 1995, it could hold 3 contacts information as long as you left out their middle names, it ran off a Diehard car battery you carried in a shoulder bag or it had an optional hamster exercise wheel you could hook it up to.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the imput hope to have a notebook by the end of the month. Been online and priced all the major brands and finding Compaq the cheapest with all the same options Windows XP Pro, Pent M, 3.0 GHZ, 512 ram, 60 GB HD, DVD/RW& CDRW, 17" for $1500. Chris ( and anyone else who wants to be my tutor) I'll be taking you up on your offer since I have never used Autocad and will have lots of ?'s. I read an earlier post saying that you can intergate 3d home arc with autocad hope this is true since I know 3d fairly good. I have to admit that I only have been using my pc to writing contracts until 2 yrs ago when I got on the net for the first time, still have lots to learn but I have found that it is my most important tool.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
magnum said:
Thanks for the imput hope to have a notebook by the end of the month. Been online and priced all the major brands and finding Compaq the cheapest with all the same options Windows XP Pro, Pent M, 3.0 GHZ, 512 ram, 60 GB HD, DVD/RW& CDRW, 17" for $1500. Chris ( and anyone else who wants to be my tutor) I'll be taking you up on your offer since I have never used Autocad and will have lots of ?'s. I read an earlier post saying that you can intergate 3d home arc with autocad hope this is true since I know 3d fairly good. I have to admit that I only have been using my pc to writing contracts until 2 yrs ago when I got on the net for the first time, still have lots to learn but I have found that it is my most important tool.

Sure, I will help you out with any questions you dont have.

If you are new to Autocad I would suggest getting "the bible."
It is a Autocad 2004 book.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I'll just say - cheapest isn't always better. Some friends of mine bought Compaq and both ended up having a problem and having to ship it to the service tech to get fixed.. about a week or more later they got them back.
I suggest Dell, Gateway, or Toshiba - in that order. But that's a personal opinion :)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
hatchet said:
Some friends of mine bought Compaq and both ended up having a problem and having to ship it to the service tech to get fixed.. about a week or more later they got them back.
That would kill me. The thought of having to 'make do' with a backup PC while my primary computing platform was down is all it took for me to do the research and spend what I thought I needed to. Buy something you can have a lot of confidence in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts