Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I usually navigate through the file/open window to the location of the .bak (usually a backup folder) and click on the file to open it with the cad program. I assume this didn't work for you? Are you getting a notice that no filter exists for the file?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Framerman has it right.

I assume you don't have file extensions hidden since you can see the bak extension.

Right click on the file
Click on rename
Then change it

If you have file extensions hidden.

Click on "Tools" on the menu bar
Click on "View"
Then uncheck the box for "hide extensions for known file types"
Then do the above for rename

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you have file extensions hidden.

Click on "Tools" on the menu bar
Click on "View"
Then uncheck the box for "hide extensions for known file types"
Then do the above for rename
BINGO! thanks a million

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Not quite...an application that won't open a file it created and a user that don't know how to set file types to open with a given application is pretty close though.

...but anyway...jot down the instructions so they will be handy on your second cad file. :)

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
mic, while i appreciate your enthusiasm to help, the issue was a windows issue not an Ac issue, essentially making it a non issue now. calling leading design software Crap because of this proclivity is like saying getting laid sucks cause you're gonna have to talk to the b!tch:rolleyes:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
calling leading design software Crap because of this proclivity is like saying getting laid sucks cause you're gonna have to talk to the b!tch:rolleyes:
:laughing:

Mics, I believe many programs use .bak as the backup file extension, so I think that double clicking the file and hoping it will open in AutoCAD would probably end up with unwanted results.

damn, now I have to go look up proclivity. Almost sounds erotic.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Don't take it so personal boys...it's not like you authored the software. AC creates the .bak file and stores it in a backup subfolder in the AC folder I think. I'm not sure because I quit using AC years ago and use an el cheapo cad program that opens .bak files it creates. :whistling

I was just pokin fun of the elite ware.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts