Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have autocad 2005 and am wondering if you guys use the just the software that came with the program or is there an additional software that has objects predefined like basement walls, windows, doors, etc. that I could imprort in Autocad. If so, which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was lucky enough to buy a used computer with AutoCAD 2005 already loaded on it, and I love it. Previously I had used 98LT.

There should be 1000's of pre-drawn blocks that you can import, a quick google search for "free autocad blocks" should bring something up.

Kevin

·
Finish Carpenter
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the great input. I ordered a book.. you guys werent kidding when you referred to the learning curve. The more complex, the more versatile...

Dan

·
Registered
190 Posts
The learning curve is steep, but it's not that bad. I had a buddy of mine show me the ropes. He probably spent about 2-3 hours with me total, and I watched him draw for maybe 2 hours. Watching him draw was the biggest help. I was fairly proficient within a month or so. I don't use it as much as I did a year ago, but that'll change.

Good luck, and feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. I'm no pro, but I know the basics. (2D)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Adam, take the step to AutoCAD. It'll make the PUNCH software look like a toy (which it is in my opinion).

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts