Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone !! First, I would like to thank you for your help in here...any tip is truly appreciated.

I date an Electrical Contractor here in FL. We live in a small beach town and a couple years back construction was just booming in here. He has his company established for 6 - 8 years I believe. For the past years business has been horrible in here...with not enough jobs out people are bidding really low, so they can keep their company opened.

As far as I understand from talking to him...when everything was fine he was making around 100K / year to more as an income.

Recently he started thinking about moving his business to Austin TX which basically means starting all over again...we would move there together. I would love to support the idea as we currently live in a very small city and I personally don't see a lot of good perspective for growth, but as I don't know nothing about the business and how hard is to establish an electrical company I would love to hear from you all.

Thanks you and Success to all of you on whatever you are doing !!

Forgive m poor English as I am a foreigner.

·
Vendor
6,346 Posts
Not a good time to move to Austin, as we have been about a year behind the curve and it is just now starting a serious slowdown. But what the hell, I moved here in 1989, when there was NOTHING going on.

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
Austin would not be good for you. This an illegal immigrant sanctuary city. They are taking over all the trades. Sure the main guy is legal, and may be licensed, but that is where it all ends.

Pay & Wages here are stagnant, with late 1970 wages, and a cost of living comparable to NY City.

·
Infill Redevelopment Pro
99 Posts
Hey guys,
The post says that he wants to start a company, not work in the company. I think we still are not very hard hit compared to the rest of the nation. Our sales stats are only down 20%-30% or so from last year in most prices. Given that 2007 was a record breaking year for real estate, I'd think it would be a decent time to make a move. Then while the couple is dealing with the administration of setting up, getting familiar with the area, getting licensed, etc the economy is slow. They are then poised to hit the ground running when the turn around comes.

Just my opinion though.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts