Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
chemical burns from concrete

i was laying a small concrete slab with color additive in the concrete. As i am not an experienced concreter, I knelt in the wet concrete while leveling it. As a result I received bad chemical burns to both knees and ended up with severe permanent scars. Someone told me the cause was the iron oxide in the color additive, but I can't find anyone that this has actually happened to. Has anybody out there experienced a similar problem? I was only kneeling in the concrete for about 20 minutes before the skin started to burn. This happened more than a year ago and the scars are not fading.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
i was laying a small concrete slab with color additive in the concrete. As i am not an experienced concreter, I knelt in the wet concrete while leveling it. As a result I received bad chemical burns to both knees and ended up with severe permanent scars. Someone told me the cause was the iron oxide in the color additive, but I can't find anyone that this has actually happened to. Has anybody out there experienced a similar problem? I was only kneeling in the concrete for about 20 minutes before the skin started to burn. This happened more than a year ago and the scars are not fading.
Where you wearing a condom?

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
I heard that portland cement was corrosive, but never heard of someone getting burned from it. ....
Actually this is not uncommon usually happens when concrete gets into a boot and sits fo a while. It is actually caused by the alkali in the concrete. I do feel sorry for him cause it hurts like a beotch.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
someone who lays concrete in this case apparently without protection and while on his or her knees.

I knew what it was I was being a smart ass...:whistling

Screw vagisil, try penicillin...:whistling

1 - 20 of 31 Posts