Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple of staplers at a fundraising auction to-day. One looks as old as I am . It is a Haubold pn6030k made in W. Germany and looks to have seen lots of work. The other is a Senco model L in original box and is either well kept or has seen little use. Just need one for the odd underlay installation would the Senco work for this or are the staples too short? I only install underlay maybe 10 times a year usually in small rooms so only hand nail it down. Thanks

·
spazman
Flooring
758 Posts
I don't know what size staple your new gun uses. I use 18 gauge 1/4 inch crown staples 7/8 inch long to install 1/4 inch underlayment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spazman I have found out more about the Senco it looks like it takes a max of one inch staples though it must be a 7/16 or 3/8 crown . looking at the box more it is a model LG4450 made in the states . I don't know nuttin about these staplers though they are well built and heavy compared to new off shore stuff.

·
spazman
Flooring
758 Posts
I guess that a 3/8 inch crown would be ok. As long as it counter sinks the staples just a bit. If you are installing vinyl these flex tec vinyl are a lot more forgiving than the old felt back vinyls. I hope you got a good buy on them. I always like getting a good buy at an auction.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I'd be worried more about fastener availability. 1/4 crown staples are available everywhere. You don't want staple long enough to penetrate through into joists. That's why 7/8 leg is the preferred length, works for all subfloors.

·
spazman
Flooring
758 Posts
That's a good point Paul. That is the reason that I use a stapler that takes arrow T-50 staples for installing carpet pad. Every hardware store, wal mart, or kmart has them if I run out.

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
That's a good point Paul. That is the reason that I use a stapler that takes arrow T-50 staples for installing carpet pad. Every hardware store, wal mart, or kmart has them if I run out.
Same thing I use. I used a DuoFast at one time, but the closest carpet supply store is 100 miles from me.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I used to have that Senco L model. It's pretty tiny. I think it's an upholstery stapler. Nothing wrong with that, but it wants to bounce.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well at least the Haubold shoots 1/4 crown staples , I may have to order staples for the Senco online as it looks like they take senco series m staples. Hey for 10 bucks they both work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts