Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys i am a 4 yr exp finish sander who is contemplating moving out of calgary somtime in Feb or March prob to Edmonton but maybe Vancouver/Victoria depending on interest generated. How it works: 5 cents a foot i use a 300 watt lamp to light all surfaces, all plugs and windows cleaned out floor scraped and swept. I have many references that can be be crosschecked online or in the yellowpages. In a city full of sanders im known as one of the better ones anyways if your interested and you live in western canada gimme a heads up and maybe tell some of your taper buds to post too basically if i can get 5 or more tapers whod b interesteded in trying me out thats the city id go to anyways Merry Xmas and Happy New Year All

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
This is a new one. I've watched the specialization of the industry over the years but never have I heard of a drywall sander. Maybe the next step is wall drywall sander and ceiling drywall sander.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
This is a new one. I've watched the specialization of the industry over the years but never have I heard of a drywall sander. Maybe the next step is wall drywall sander and ceiling drywall sander.
c'mon, stop making fun. around here there are wall hand sanders and wall machine sanders.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Was thinking about specializing in butt joint coating, but only the second coat. Failing that, I think there could be a space in the market for a final coat nail spotter.
I am that confident, that I have bought a new van, rented an office and splashed out on a new thermos flask (for my soup if I get any jobs somewhere cold):thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Sup guys i am a 4 yr exp finish sander who is contemplating moving out of calgary somtime in Feb or March prob to Edmonton but maybe Vancouver/Victoria depending on interest generated. How it works: 5 cents a foot i use a 300 watt lamp to light all surfaces, all plugs and windows cleaned out floor scraped and swept. I have many references that can be be crosschecked online or in the yellowpages. In a city full of sanders im known as one of the better ones anyways if your interested and you live in western canada gimme a heads up and maybe tell some of your taper buds to post too basically if i can get 5 or more tapers whod b interesteded in trying me out thats the city id go to anyways Merry Xmas and Happy New Year All

How many sanders are there?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'd feel guilty letting someone else sand my work. Probably become a bit lazy on finishing, then the sander would charge more because I got sloppy. Amazing how much neater one can put mud on if one has to sand one's own work.
But, more power to ya Sanderman! Sounds like this isn't his first rodeo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
At one time we would have all been considered carpenters? I myself find it ironic that I am often asked "Are you a drywaller or a mudder?". How specialized are other trades? do roofers have gunners, stackers and cutters, are there framers that only do walls?

More powere to you IAMSANDER if you are able to make a living providing a service that is in need. When things slow down and they will, I suggest you broden your scope of work in order to keep yourself marketable. When things are good a taper may be willing to pay you your asking price but when things get tight for tapers?

I am thinking of becomming a mud mixer, mixing mud is it! thick or thin as you want! $10.00 a box (10 box minimum) for labor plus milage of course!

Or perhaps an employee delivery service! I will call it "Coyote Transport"
Since some in this trade like to hire undocumented workers who are unable to abtain a drivers license or even a legal means of working in this country I will provide tranportation to and from the worksite for a fee of course.;)

·
Registered
843 Posts
In this part of the country where there are a fair amount of Amish settlements, the drivers are paid pretty good to bring the workers to the site and back home. They usually travel about an hour. The driver just sits in his van all day then takes them back home. Loonggg day. We work for a contractor that lost his drivers license due to OWI too many times. He hired a guy to take him around to his jobs. The guy just sits there while the guy does his walk through. I think I'd rather be a sander.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought most of you would comment like this but yes its my specialty and if u knew anyone in calgary theyd tell you the same its a sub trade here 80 % of all drywall is sanded by sanders in response to tims comment no the price wouldnt raise but if i got busy i tend to drop the ****ty tapers its been my experiance though that when a taper see's how much effort iv put into making his job look so good that he recipicates and will sometimes do a little extra for me. IN my 4 years of sanding iv only had one taper get worse most get better. In responce to 5 star and his comment about times getting tough ive kept my price below what the average taper makes in a day so in theory hiring me costs you nothing as long as u have a job to start while im sanding your previous one. Anyways thanks for responding everyone :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IN calgary there are probally 50+ sanders mickey. Laff Al no i seen a guy use one of those electro vacuum deals but im a 150 grit filmback whore i swear by that stuff. In my early years i used to keep some 100 grit for those really bad guys now i just dont sand there work ill usually refer those guys to the sanders that think a quik pole sand is all thats needed

·
Registered
843 Posts
IAMSANDER, I wish you were in my area! I'd definitely use you! 5 cents a foot sounds pretty reasonable to me. I admire you for doing the sanding!

·
Jack of All
40 Posts
IAMSANDER, I wish you were in my area! I'd definitely use you! 5 cents a foot sounds pretty reasonable to me. I admire you for doing the sanding!
Same here!
However, with the hand texture still the rage here I don't have to do much sanding - just a quick clean up of my inside corners and clean up the bull-nose. I dread the day smooth wall comes back LOL
Doug

·
Registered
843 Posts
We do very little smooth wall. Most every body wants knockdown on the celings and orange peel on the walls. They went through a time when there was more smooth. Now just small orange peel on the walls. Whatever they want.

·
Registered
66 Posts
about a year ago our company had 5 different sanding crews- 6 months after that they were all gone. so at one point they were popular. also one of the drivers for our amish framers/trim guys get paid 10 bucks an hr to sit in his van all day lol, not bad imo for sleeping 6 hrs a day in a smelly van.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts