Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live outside of Wichita, Ks and my neighbor is Sheriffs Officer. Across the street is a Local police officer and behind me are another 2. One would think with that much police presence I wouldn't have to worry about attempted trailer theft.
Last night I woke up to noise outside and some jack wagon was trying to cut the locks off the rear door. He was greeted by my 12 guage and drove off with his buddy.
My neighbor came out and took the description and said this month 36 trailers have been stolen. Last month was worse.
So my question is do the trailer wheel locks work and if so whats the best brand? Cutting locks takes to much time so I'm not worried about that as much as someone driving off with it.
My closest friend had his stolen last week but luckily most of his tool were in the garage since he was rebuilding the shelves.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My first question is what type of locks are your using on your doors?

Second is do you mean boot locks or locking lug nuts? I would recommend using both...

Things I would also recommend would be a really high quality coupler lock, and lock the coupler latch as well. (I even welded the nut onto the bottom side of my coupler latch so someone can't remove it)

One of the best things I've come up with is to chain and lock a long extension ladder to the underside of the trailer... if anyone were to try to move the trailer the ladder would dig in and make a heck of a lot of noise.

My cousin locks his motorcycle trailer to a receiver that's welded to a post, that's locked into a 12 in. Pier. (might be overkill for most people) but it works

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I'm glad they didn t get it. It s a shame we all work hard to have a little something, and some sorry crackhead is out here stealing it!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
we went thru that last summer 20 or so were stolen.
the best thing to do is hide a gps unit inside the trailer you can get one for $50
the hitch locks are easy to bypass
wheel locks are a good thing to use

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My door locks are fine. They left their bolt cutters and the blades got chipped trying to cut them. And my coupler lock is high quality.
I'm sorry I didnt clarify what type of lock. I'm looking at buying a boot type wheel lock. With all the thefts around here All the extra protection will give me peace of mind. On my buddies trailer they just cut through the sides out in the country and climbed in. He did recover his trailer but most of the tools were gone.
Makes me wish they still did public hanging for thieves.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,991 Posts
Neighbor put a motion activated alarm in his; if it gets bumped it really puts out a racket; if you're close by would let you know your gear is being messed with.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
Get one of these.....

image-505653940.jpg

Then I use a coupler lock and wrap my safety chains around the tongue jack handle and padlock them. I know none are impossible to bypass, but they'll sure have to work for it. If they just break in, they'll find all my power tools in a gang box. Miter saw and table saw have cable locks to the tie downs in the floor as well.

Again not impossible but they gotta work for it. I got a 3 pack of bicycle style cable locks all work off the same key. They work good for inside the trailer.

·
Vendor
167 Posts
Unless a wheel boot covers the lug nuts, they are worthless. Also, make sure to lock up the safety chains.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
Lyle Clark said:
Unless a wheel boot covers the lug nuts, they are worthless. Also, make sure to lock up the safety chains.
to an extent.... Most thieves don't carry a spare. Nor do they want to take the time to change a tire. They'd rather find an easier mark.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never thought about the chains. Thanks for the tip! I want a boot that covers the lugs. The lug locks are worthless. I lost the key once so had to use a slightly smaller ratchet, a hammer and a breakout bar to remove. Took about 30 seconds.
I'm also looking at the GPS mentioned earlier in the thread. For the moment my tools stay in the garage between jobs guarded by my pit. He's how I knew something was up the other night.

·
Vendor
167 Posts
True about the spare, but something to think about.
Regards to the GPS, take a look at the DeWalt alarm/GPS. Any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A neighbor offered our concrete guy to make sure no one stole anything or messed with the trailers for 100 bucks a week. He just told him if anything came up missing he would start excavating houses over till he found his stuff. Guy realized he was serious haha not one thing got messed with the whole job!

·
Registered
Custom
13,406 Posts
A nice magnetic sign right by the lock you place at the end of the day that reads... "smile for the nice sheriff who lives across the street, and the 3 police officers who live in front and behind me who will be ARRESTING YOU, because you're being video-taped right now" with a motion light that shines right on the sign on the trailer...

Motion and/or vibration siren (95db or higher) on the inside of you trailer... a lojack device...

Other alternative... install a second interior door that can only be opened by a key and/or keypad... paint on it... "you though the first lock was hard..."

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good news is they found the guys today that tried to jack mine as well as 5 other trailers in his backyard. Neighbor couldn't tell me more than that but at least thats 2 idiots off the street.
Thats awesome since he said well over 85% are never found since they don't look at them being stolen the way they do with cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts