Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Know but it's got to be done if I don't do it, she's gonna have her handyman do it!!

You should see the porch roof he did oh wait I'll get pics!

I'm thinking durarock then stone any ideas from you guys?

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Back in the early 90's my local yard sponsored a trip to Cox pressure treating plant. It was somewhere on the SC and GA border.
They met us at the airport and took us to the plant.
On the way there we saw a circa 1950's trailer in the middle of a field that somebody ran brick all the way up to the rounded roof.
They just encased the old trailer in brick.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
I might consider it, but I would build a footing and go from the ground up. I would never hang it off the walls. Depending on the age of the home, some of those exterior walls are 1 x 2.

I see a lot of stone/ brick ones here, but they have their own foundation.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I Know but it's got to be done if I don't do it, she's gonna have her handyman do it!!

You should see the porch roof he did oh wait I'll get pics!

I'm thinking durarock then stone any ideas from you guys?
Are you talking about putting stone on the foundation or the entire house? How old is the house ? And what kind of siding is on the house now?

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a couple years old, she wants a 8' tall x16' long wall done.

Even the thin veneers weigh a lot ?

If I don't do it , she will have it done by a well you will see when I get pics lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
I worked for skyline years back as a trim carpenter and cabinet maker. If the customer was lucky it got 1/2 plywood. They used 1x2s for framing and staples instead of nails for all the framing.
I never touch brick but from experience most trailers I've seen built here in kansas are lucky the siding doesn't collapse the whole structure.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
What she wants, and what is possible are worlds apart. If she is insistent on using stone veneer - I wouldn't worry about loosing the work to her handyman.

You don't want to get yourself involved in this......:no:

JMPOV,

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Just don't brick over the head lights. :laughing:

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome TA,,,, I think that's the exact stuff but their is no description on the site so I couldn't tell, all it said was no mortar install so I knew it was mobile home quality as well!!

Thanks !!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts