Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the title says it all but I have an issue where a dog likes to scratch the flat latex painted drwall next to the front door so I want to attach a piece of plexiglass to stop the dog from gouging up the wall... down to the studs after a couple of years.

I have a piece of plexiglass attached with painters tape for now while I research the best way to attach this with some kind of clear glue/adhesive that won't change the color of the flat latex paint underneath.

I know I can use screws or even mirror holders but I was hoping to *hide* this plexiglass as best as possible... although I realize it still shows up pretty good regardless.

Any ideas?

I've done some Googling and search the forums and didn't find anything in the forums and not much with Google either.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think the title says it all but I have an issue where a dog likes to scratch the flat latex painted drwall next to the front door so I want to attach a piece of plexiglass to stop the dog from gouging up the wall... down to the studs after a couple of years.

I have a piece of plexiglass attached with painters tape for now while I research the best way to attach this with some kind of clear glue/adhesive that won't change the color of the flat latex paint underneath.

I know I can use screws or even mirror holders but I was hoping to *hide* this plexiglass as best as possible... although I realize it still shows up pretty good regardless.

Any ideas?

I've done some Googling and search the forums and didn't find anything in the forums and not much with Google either.

Thanks in advance.
How about "framing" it with a small rabbeted moulding?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far. I think the trim would just make the plexiglass stand out even more and I'm trying to hide it as best as possible, possibly even painting the plexiglass the same color as the wall if the clear gets scratched up too much over time. At least I won't have to worry about the dog gouging through the plexiglass for a lot longer than it took him to get through the drywall. I'm also trying to break him of this bad habit but he was a rescue and has LOTS of other bad habits that need breaking as well. I just painted the living room and want it to last as long as possible and this area was the worst which is why I'm trying to reinforce it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Artistically silicone the entire perimeter.
I thought about using clear silicone (of course it's not really clear) and just a thin bead along the edges and at least it could probably be peeled away without damaging the drywall and then some simple sanding/prepping for a future paint job. I figured I could keep two sides taped and put beads of silicone along two edges and then after that dries, silicone the other two edges.

Any other ideas?

I know there must be a miracle way of doing this with an adhesive that will allow the plexiglass to be peeled off the wall in the future without damaging the wall (not too worried about the paint) but I don't want an adhesive that will change the color of the flat latex paint and that's what I'm worried about most. It might go on clear but then change the color to make the plexiglass'ed area show up even more.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,574 Posts
You're not going to make the plexi invisible no matter what you do. Whatever you try along those lines is going to look like ca-ca.

Frame it in nicely, and graciously accept the compliments for making the best of a bad situation. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
711 Posts
You're not going to make the plexi invisible no matter what you do. Whatever you try along those lines is going to look like ca-ca.

Frame it in nicely, and graciously accept the compliments for making the best of a bad situation. :thumbsup:
I think Tin's on the right track here...go artistic. How about framing a long,tall print under plexi and putting it there, or a pair of them, one on each side of the door?

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Attempting to hide it, or make it blend in as best as possible, in the end, is going to look like crap.

Let your artistic and creative forces flow and see what you come up with - think of it as an accent piece....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I run into plexiglass under receptionists windows in medical and dental buildings and they are screwed to the wall, I unscrew em and paint the wall and then when it is dry I put it back, no big deal.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I run into plexiglass under receptionists windows in medical and dental buildings and they are screwed to the wall, I unscrew em and paint the wall and then when it is dry I put it back, no big deal.
I have bright brass hardware on the door and thought about bright brass screws/grommets but I'm still hoping for the miracle... it is Christmas time after all! ;-)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
711 Posts
Put a mirror up instead of plexi...the dog won't scratch at all, may bark a little...:laughing:
I like the mirror idea a lot. Go with a full-length mirror next to the door. You may gain feng shui points as well.

Besides the appearance of caulk, I'd be concerned about when it's time to take the thing down. A few screw-holes versus some long beads of silicone? One of those sounds a lot easier to repair than the other.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts