Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,842 Posts
rustyjames said:
Another method popped into my head--how about an adhesive like polyurethane? It's used in the auto industry to fasten sheet metal panels and windshields. It could also be used with some powder actuated fasteners.
Exactly, Why can't you use a hilti powder actuated? It will shoot through 3/8 steel.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have some that will cut through 1/2" plate, I get them as part of a hardware kit for I product I install, so they exist.

I can send you one so you can try to source it locally
Thanks, but I don't need any, I was just questioning the OP about getting them. Good to know they exist though. I'll bet they're not cheap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't think shooting will be permitted by engineers. I highly recommend using a low speed drill with oil and make sure you have extractor kits handy because it is highly likely with so many holes you will break both bits and screws. Good luck

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

We are still waiting to start this install. After numerous delays, primarily flooring related, we were scheduled for 1/27. We got notified yesterday that we are another week out. Cancel equipment rentals, cancel room reservations, reschedule other jobs that are flexible.

I'm going through the replies again to try and decide our best course of action. We did purchase the StrongArm product and are going to try that route.

Our current intent is to predrill and see if Teks can then tap their own thread. If that will not work we'll go with nuts and bolts. (I reserve the right to change my mind at a moment's notice without good cause.)

In a December change order they have since added and installed drop ceilings to four of the rooms. The guys are going to love working around that.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts