Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants to install horizontal shades
in his kitchen. Windows are 3/0 x4/0 with full tile wrap.

My friend is adamant about not drilling tile as he is afraid it will crack.

How else would you attach the brackets?

Double stick tape????

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
A friend of mine wants to install horizontal shades
in his kitchen. Windows are 3/0 x4/0 with full tile wrap.

My friend is adamant about not drilling tile as he is afraid it will crack.

How else would you attach the brackets?

Double stick tape????
In the grout lines?

He could do an epoxy and hope for the best when he removes them.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read the post.

Never said I couldn't drill them.

Was looking for an alternative, outside the box.

Unusual concept for many people.

TNT, thanks, tile drill, no grout line.

Inner, got your bags packed??????....:thumbsup:

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
griz said:
A friend of mine wants to install horizontal shades in his kitchen. Windows are 3/0 x4/0 with full tile wrap. My friend is adamant about not drilling tile as he is afraid it will crack. How else would you attach the brackets? Double stick tape????
Can you attach them to window frame .

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Read the post.

Never said I couldn't drill them.

Was looking for an alternative, outside the box.

Unusual concept for many people.

TNT, thanks, tile drill, no grout line.

Inner, got your bags packed??????....:thumbsup:
Griz you buy the ticket I'l drill em for free!!!

You can even keep the bit. :thumbup:

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
If it comes down to drilling, the mini-diamond-abrasive drills, the ones like tiny core saws, don't have the hammering action of carbide bits or the grabbing action of the little arrow-shaped glass and tile bits. Very unlikely to crack a tile with them.
I have never had a tile crack drilling with standard Bosch masonry bits. But the diamond bits are out of this world awesome, but $$$.

·
Super Moderator
30,057 Posts
Id drill, but Liguid Nails and a few hours with some blue tape would probably work if the blind is narrow and plastic

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Nonsense. The blocks will be covered by the valance piece (or whatever that top piece is called). And it would be plenty strong, too. And the blocks would not protrude beyond the edge of the brackets. What's not to like? Guy is asking for crazy install, and this is one solution.
There is not always a valance or curtain topper.

If you are going to glue, just glue the brackets and skip the wood and 1/4" screws. That way you won't have blinds that are to narrow, and have one less point of failure.

I mounted one side of a 9 foot roller blind in a condo with HFX and it hasn't fallen down yet...but I'd still rather contend with a few holes than that crap on the tiles when you decide to change the blinds.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
There is not always a valance or curtain topper.

If you are going to glue, just glue the brackets and skip the wood and 1/4" screws. That way you won't have blinds that are to narrow, and have one less point of failure.

I mounted one side of a 9 foot roller blind in a condo with HFX and it hasn't fallen down yet...but I'd still rather contend with a few holes than that crap on the tiles when you decide to change the blinds.
I get it, but still....more surface area (and porosity) by gluing block. Block allows you to make corrections on leveling the brackets. Block lets you change to something else down the road without having to chip off the bracket. Besides, there should be a gap between the blinds and the sides.

Another option would be to "Flex Shot" the brackets in place. :jester:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I get it, but still....more surface area (and porosity) by gluing block. Block allows you to make corrections on leveling the brackets. Block lets you change to something else down the road without having to chip off the bracket. Besides, there should be a gap between the blinds and the sides.

Another option would be to "Flex Shot" the brackets in place. :jester:
Let's just all agree that this clown should drill his tiles.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
I smashed one to bits when I tried to use my sds....what a terrible idea. Abrasive diamond only for me!
I can drive up and show you how to do it. :laughing:

I have hung TV's, Artwork, Various shower and tub accessories in tile and have never cracked a single one. One tip is to tap the tile at the drill location and make sure that it isn't hollow. If it isn't and you do it right you won't crack it.

Start with a small pilot bit and work your way up to the desired size.

·
Super Moderator
30,057 Posts
I wouldnt trust anything but liquid nails if I didnt screw it. I wouldnt try on it a clients house. Im going to try it tomorrow though on a tile in my shop. Let you know if it sticks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts