Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Carpenter
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I go up north for a week straight once a year on a fishing trip and we camp out the whole time. We have water at the site we can hook a garden hose up to and a Cabelas camp kitchen.

My issue is every time we clean fish I'm using the hose by the picnic table and water gets everywhere.

I want to run the hose to the camp kitchen but attach it to a faucet.

Sort of like this, but ideally I just want to run the hose right to a fitting on the faucet, no hot or cold water, no dual knobs, nothing fancy.

I'm looking to do it on the cheap and looks mean nothing to me. Its all about having a functional faucet over the water basin.

Is there something made for this purpose ready to go, or do I need to grab a cheap clearance faucet and some fittings?

Thanks.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I'd just make my own out of a boiler drain valve or so,...maybe add a small piece of garden hose for flexible rinse.

It be easy to find a bushing or fitting to quick connect for your application and certainly be on the cheap.

You'll have to make up some sort of base to house your contraption for ease of use, but that shouldn't be too hard :laughing:

·
Registered
163 Posts
You can take the errator off and get a fitting that goes from the faucet to a hose with a shut off on it.I had one growing up.Depot must have them.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
27,257 Posts
I'd probably rig up something to come off the supply line for the kitchen sink to attach my hose to.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
the older faucet from the 50 have 1/2 thread male fitting so all you would need is a 1/2 to 3/4 bushing to screw in to the garden hose end

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I set up a free standing laundry tub to. Hose threaded right on to faucet.

Just a matter of getting the right fittings to join the two.

Try a splitter at the hose bib and clean fish in a different area. ;)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I took a 6' piece of countertop with a ss sink and faucet from a remodel.Built a 2X4 stand for it. Hooked a hose from my hydrant to the cold side of the faucet and plugged the hot side with JBWeld.Worked great for cleaning fish.I also do lots of canning from the garden.This setup and a propane turkey cooker burner allowed me to do this outside.Keeping all of the heat and mess out of the kitchen.

·
Carpenter
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies.

So sounds like I should be able to either:

1) Get some fittings to attack under the faucet to the hose end.

or

2) Attach a shut off valve at the end of the hose.

And I should probably clarify. I filet the fish at the picnic table away from the kitchen area. I then want to rinse all the cleaned filets before I bag and freeze them or eat them for dinner. The rinse part is what I need a faucet for. Before I just had a hose on drip and it would make a mess, requiring me to wear rain pants lol.

Here is a pic of our monstrosity of a campsite.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

So sounds like I should be able to either:

1) Get some fittings to attack under the faucet to the hose end.

or

2) Attach a shut off valve at the end of the hose.

And I should probably clarify. I filet the fish at the picnic table away from the kitchen area. I then want to rinse all the cleaned filets before I bag and freeze them or eat them for dinner. The rinse part is what I need a faucet for. Before I just had a hose on drip and it would make a mess, requiring me to wear rain pants lol.

Here is a pic of our monstrosity of a campsite.

Don't tell me ya just fish for crappie...

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Are you going to fillet them things or scale them.

We call those Specs here in Florida. Good eating

That has to make a pretty good mess. That would make a good dinner bell for the flies. I guess there's no cleaning station down by the lake where you catch those.

I normally bring a plywood table, 8 feet long. I would set up away from the campsite, bring a long hose and spray nozzle, and clean and rinse off table as needed.

·
Carpenter
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't tell me ya just fish for crappie...
We primarily fish for crappie on the trip because it is during the spring spawn so the action is usually hot. Once we get our bag limit we switch to walleye for more good eats or go for large/small mouth, and pike for fun.

·
Carpenter
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Are you going to fillet them things or scale them.

We call those Specs here in Florida. Good eating

That has to make a pretty good mess. That would make a good dinner bell for the flies. I guess there's no cleaning station down by the lake where you catch those.

I normally bring a plywood table, 8 feet long. I would set up away from the campsite, bring a long hose and spray nozzle, and clean and rinse off table as needed.
We fillet them, the picture you see above was just after the heads were removed, we then take out the fillets and remove the skin. Nothing but pure meat, no bones. Batter and into the deep fryer!

It makes a decent mess, everything goes into a contractor bag and is hosted up into the trees by rope. The campsite has a garbage collection. A guy comes by in a golf cart once a day. After were done we hose of the table. The campsite is on the lake, like 10 steps from that tent in the picture.

As I said the faucet issue comes into play after all that work is done and I have a pile of cleaned fillets, I want to give them a final clean rinse before packing and freezing them in our mini fridge. Yeah we don't exactly "rough it", but honestly when your there for a full week, and you have electric and water hook up, why make it rough, its about fishing. We seriously spend like 12 hrs a day on the boat fishing if weather permits.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,280 Posts
I'm a bit confused because of the responses.

Are you wanting to hook up a hose to supply the faucet??

If this is the case, then get a female hose to 1/2" MIP connector. If the faucet has a compression fitting, then also get a 3/8" Male Compression x 1/2" FIP connector.

If you want a hose to go on the end of the faucet, you'll need to take the aerator off and take it with you to a plumbing supply house. They can figure out the thread size/number, and hook you up with an adapter.

Hope this helps.

·
Carpenter
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a bit confused because of the responses.

Are you wanting to hook up a hose to supply the faucet??

If this is the case, then get a female hose to 1/2" MIP connector. If the faucet has a compression fitting, then also get a 3/8" Male Compression x 1/2" FIP connector.
Yes this. Thanks.

·
Carpenter
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never have seen someone cut the head off to fillet
Its the only way I have ever done it.

We keep ours in live wells while fishing to keep them alive and fresh. Cutting the head off instantly kills them. No need for it to suffer.

I make 3 moves per side. One straight in along the length of the fish, entering where the head was, riding the spine with the blade facing up toward the top of the fish. Angle down just past the stomach and out the bottom, firm press against the spine and slide all the way to the tail.

The second cut removes the fillet from the stomach, just above the ribs.

The third simply removes the skin from the fillet.

Repeat for other side.

100% pure meat, no skin , no bones.

I do a double check for bones when doing the final rinse (where I need this faucet) and hand pick off anything not pure meat I may have missed.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,280 Posts
Those Hose-to-Iron Pipe connectors are pretty common at a plumbing supply house. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
I'd hook up an adjustable shower head to it. I thought about this thread when I was cleaning out about a dozen paint brushes in the bathtub last night. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts