Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting going on this attached carport. Permit took longer than expected, excavation took longer than expected, I got tied up with other stuff but finally making some headway. One of the Bigfoot missed the gas line by a few inches, so lucked out there. This is one of the bigger projects I've done since starting on my own so I'll post progress pics as I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost got the roof framing finished today, a helper is starting to seem like a good idea. Sheathing tomorrow and smart trim facia to get ready for roofers. Have to hit another job next week then I'll wrap the posts and beams in smart trim as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got everything ready for the torch on roofing today, it will wrap up the house 8" with custom flashing at top and sealed to stucco. Framing inspection tomorrow. Soffit and trim in a week or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Driveway will get crusher chips or road base after another guy does an Allen block wall to the left of the carport. Customer would like a concrete apron at the house out 12'.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Looks nice. I'd get a wood framing structural engineer to look over your photos for some expert advice. IMHO

what holds the posts, beams and roof TOGETHER when the wind lifts up the rather large footage of the deck?

Is the car port deck at the same level as the floor diaphragm in the house?

If not, what is the load path for wind loads sideways on the carport?

Are you intending to install blocking in the rafters to achieve rated capacity?

Did you use some wind ties that aren't visible in the pictures?

I am curious as to the size and spacing and installation blocking if any for the roof deck to house joists, ditto on the type of roof sheathing and nailing/screw/glue schedule

Reactions: TheConstruct

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes there are ties that aren't installed yet in the pictures. I will get more pics on my next trip. Installed Simpson T straps on the post to beam connections this morning before inspection.

There is lateral joist blocking above the beams on both sides as spec'd in the roof layout from the truss company. Mid span blocking was not spec'd. I joist rafters have 5 nails at each end and 5 nails in blocking into beam. Straps weren't spec'd for rafter to beam connection.

3/4" T&G plywood, glued and nailed 5" O. C on permiter and 6" O. C in the web with 2 3/8 ring shank.

Carport ties into both the 8' garage foundation wall and first floor rim joist. The post at the house corner and 4' wing wall are anchored with 7" wedge anchors.

I've gone through all the proper channels with the city permitting, inspections and engineering from the truss company. Between the sheathing and lateral blocking there is zero racking and we seldomly see wind over 70km/h (44m/h)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just about wrapped up on this one. Just waiting for gutter to go.

I finished painting everything today, it's very white but that's what the customer wanted.

I subbed out excavation, roofing and gutter and did the rest solo, which proved to be a lot of work with how hot its been.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts