Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding a face-lift facade to an existing metal/steel building that is serving as a primary residence (built-out residential interior). Customer attempting to create "somewhat" of a more residential appearance (at least on the front of the building).

I recommended a faux stone panel across the bottom (about 4' high), and Stucco the rest of the way up. Front of bldg is approx 30x20, so it would've been a chore--no doubt. Out of price range anyway, so deciding to audible with Hardie Stucco panels. My question is this:

As I'm staring at the exterior metal siding/walls, the "high ribs" make what is essentially a perfect metal-"stud"-frame. I want to just attach the panels directly across the front of the building (using the high ribs) as studs/framing (in other words...without any sheathing, which is what I was orginally going to do). If this is possible, obviously the time and cost would drop dramatically. Understanding that there are obvious benefits to building a whole new furred-out frame against the front of the building...I just feel like: well, hell...I'm staring at a framed-system (i.e. the ribbed sheet metal).

Thoughts? Is there a middle-ground here (e.g. foam board, etc).

·
Registered
10 Posts
elsac said:
Adding a face-lift facade to an existing metal/steel building that is serving as a primary residence (built-out residential interior). Customer attempting to create "somewhat" of a more residential appearance (at least on the front of the building).

I recommended a faux stone panel across the bottom (about 4' high), and Stucco the rest of the way up. Front of bldg is approx 30x20, so it would've been a chore--no doubt. Out of price range anyway, so deciding to audible with Hardie Stucco panels. My question is this:

As I'm staring at the exterior metal siding/walls, the "high ribs" make what is essentially a perfect metal-"stud"-frame. I want to just attach the panels directly across the front of the building (using the high ribs) as studs/framing (in other words...without any sheathing, which is what I was orginally going to do). If this is possible, obviously the time and cost would drop dramatically. Understanding that there are obvious benefits to building a whole new furred-out frame against the front of the building...I just feel like: well, hell...I'm staring at a framed-system (i.e. the ribbed sheet metal).

Thoughts? Is there a middle-ground here (e.g. foam board, etc).
Just my 2 cents. I would add the wood framing. We did a house with it and found it was much better to nail then try to screw. Plus it has some flex in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts