Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My acreage & garden area is my therapy when time lets me. Natives are my bet as well. I’ve got into growing a lot of veggies & flowers from seed as my grandparents did. Plus my tomatoes don’t taste like grocery cardboard & I grow what’s suited for my area

Mike

We're getting ready to tear down our greenhouse to put a clean storage addition onto our shop. We used to start flowers & vegetables for several neighbors & family, as well as our own. Almost all of those people have quit gardening because of age & we just don't have the time that's required to do it anymore or to even grow a garden anymore. Luckily, there's plenty of people around here that still do & sell in small farmers markets or roadside, so there's no shortage of fresh vegetables in season.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Why did you go with a full height upper over the range instead of a shorter wall cabinet?
Because the contractor that done the rest of the remodel said he needed to run the rangehood vent out the wall near the ceiling. I had planned on it being the same height as the pantry till he requested it being taller.

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
It will look great when finished, It is a very popular color right now along with dark gray. Most get the white with gray streaked quartz tops from my experience.

Will that door hit the sink?
Marble replica out of quartz is very popular.

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
I find the stove cabinet out of place.
Storage........ehhh I may have sacrificed the DW..
I do like the colors

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
You think a chase above cab looks better. Yea maybe. I know years ago I installed trim & I always got stuck doing that after the fact. Including the vent to outside. I hated that & appliances

Mike

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I do like the colors

Can I send you the bill so that I can change it to the way you would like it to be? :) I mean hell, I'll build it however you tell me to build it & use whatever color you want it to be if you're paying the bills. Just like I did for this lady. :)

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
Sure send it here and I'll forward it to the guy who have you the suggestion. Friendly advice. Lol

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Sometimes I am asked to build stuff and they tell you what they want, it sounds crazy, you build it just they way they asked and it 2 months it becomes the hottest trend around.

Example- gray cabinets, black windows, black faucets
I was doing them several years ago and did not like them at all, now they are all over the place
Its a good thing they know I am clueless on style and color

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
Did 4 gray kitchens in a row and black is the new thing for everything from faucets to door knobs

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
The only thing I’ve done lately I like as far as resi is white wash cabinets. For some reason I’ve always liked them if done right. The trends & colors always come back around. Grey is popular here again but they can keep anything black as far as I’m concerned b-u-t, if it puts cake in the bank I love it. I’d never make a good designer. I’ve got a good one & she’s paid well

Mike

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The only thing I’ve done lately I like as far as resi is white wash cabinets. For some reason I’ve always liked them if done right. The trends & colors always come back around. Grey is popular here again but they can keep anything black as far as I’m concerned b-u-t, if it puts cake in the bank I love it. I’d never make a good designer. I’ve got a good one & she’s paid well

Mike

My real skillset is doing rustic & really enjoy designing & executing rustic. Really like working with quality old growth reclaimed materials. Don't get a lot of call for it, but we're really good at doing it when given creative freedom.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Same here, especially barnwood. Did an accent wall on a 100 y/o barn we moved that’s all we could salvage. Did a barrel ceiling entry with it on another job. Love rustic.

Mike

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here's one of our reclaimed projects. I reworked an alter wall from a turn of the century church & turned it into our personal bar. Backbar cabinets are all new, except the elk etched glass. They're reclaimed. Tin ceiling is all reclaimed, but the coffered beams are all new. I really like mixing old & new & challenging people to tell me which is which..

21 - 40 of 46 Posts