Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tiny kitchen we just built. Had to get a little creative with cabinet depths to make everything work. Only had 98" along window wall to get 2 blind corner cabinets, a sink & a dishwasher. Had to shrink the depth of the corner cabinets, but had to have enough room to make the blind corner susans work. Ended up about 221/2"deep.

I tell all my painted cabinet clients, pick a color out of the sherwin williams fan deck & our supplier can match it. This woman wanted manitou blue. Installed yesterday while she was at work. Got a text last night that she absolutely loved it. So, I guess I love the fact that I'll get paid. :)

Still have to go back & put final coat of finish on the floors after she gets appliances installed.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
I look at the craftsmanship and not necessarily the color/style. As usual, great work Randy.

Mike.
___

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I look at the craftsmanship and not necessarily the color/style. As usual, great work Randy.

Mike.
___

Thanks Mike. We try to put out quality, even on the smallest projects with limited budgets.

This is a really hard working lady who doesn't have a lot. She runs a local nursery & has been working very long hours of late going into her big sales season & has been heavily investing her available monies into plants ect. When she texted me yesterday morning, she said she was getting me a cashiers check ready, but she was going to be a couple hundred short on her equity loan, but would get the balance to me soon. I let her know Jenny & I would be out in the coming weeks to buy our summer plantings from her, don't worry about the $200, we'll take it in plants. She really liked that idea.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
It will look great when finished, It is a very popular color right now along with dark gray. Most get the white with gray streaked quartz tops from my experience.

Will that door hit the sink?

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will look great when finished, It is a very popular color right now along with dark gray. Most get the white with gray streaked quartz tops from my experience.

Will that door hit the sink?
Yes, the door will hit the sink unfortunately. I'm not sure how I could have designed it any other way with the limited space to work with. Pull will be mounted below sink level & we'll have to put a rubber button on the front of the sink to protect paint.

Her countertops for a while, will just be plywood. She's out of money till after she sells her greenhouse inventory. She was asking about using butcherblock last we talked. Warned against wood & water mixing, but we know how those warnings go when people get something in their head. So we may be gluing up butcherblocks in May or June. She's ruled out being able to afford granite.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
Butcherblock will work fine and look good, just tell her she has to oil it and no standing water
Customer of mine has wood top 30 years old or so, following those rules and still looks great

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
Looks just fine. You did great.

Could you have steered her to an 18” dishwasher? More money, but would have worked out better.

Tom

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks just fine. You did great.

Could you have steered her to an 18” dishwasher? More money, but would have worked out better.

Tom

Didn't even know they made such a thing. Wish you'd have told me that sooner, would have made my job a lot easier. I'm sure that would have been sufficient as she's a single older lady.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks nice pin, as an avid gardener myself that trade off would certainly work for me. I’m installing a lot of painted cabs nowdays

Mike
We have a 3 acre yard & a bunch of large flower beds. So we spend more than she'll owe us every year. We normally shop at a Mennonite nursery. I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't support her after she supported us. She grows a lot of natives & we like planting natives in our yard & timber.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,519 Posts
Small nurseries are a lot of work and a tough business to keep open year after year.

I don't mind the color, it's almost a traditional one.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
We have a 3 acre yard & a bunch of large flower beds. So we spend more than she'll owe us every year. We normally shop at a Mennonite nursery. I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't support her after she supported us. She grows a lot of natives & we like planting natives in our yard & timber.
My acreage & garden area is my therapy when time lets me. Natives are my bet as well. I’ve got into growing a lot of veggies & flowers from seed as my grandparents did. Plus my tomatoes don’t taste like grocery cardboard & I grow what’s suited for my area

Mike

1 - 20 of 46 Posts