Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I looked at a three level multifamily with fire damage on the third floor (roof and few studs). The third floor had smoke damage but more seriously a lot of water was used to control this fire.
My concern is on how extensive the demolition should go to recondition this house.
Every single ceilings of 2nd floor came down as result of the water and also some ceiling on the 1st floor. The exterior walls have all cellulose insulation and plaster wall. The homeowner had a fire remediation company cleanup after the fire and also had for a week external heating units stabilizing the house, but i feel it was not perfectly dried out, as the roof damage was secured with just some tarp. Now the house has no electric of heat.
How to decide which wall should be demolished even if they look structurally sound? I am sure however that water dripped through most of them.
Quoting for a full gutting of the house (walls and floors) seems excessive and probably I would not get the job as a result.
Both mold and residual smoke odor are the concern.
Joe

·
Board&Pipe Stretcher
47 Posts
Do you have a moisture tester? Im not familiar with the technical term, but alot of hardwood floor guys use them. Was the place soda blasted? How long ago was the fire?

I did a complete gut to exterior on a fire job this time last year. It was left open for 6mths, looked like a shipwreck site from all the water damage.

A good soda blasting can make alot of that framing look brand new.

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
Pepscae,

Demo every wall on every floor. The water will carry the soot down the interior and exterior walls. To reinforce your bid to gut, hire a hygientist to do some soot samples on the lowest level. If you want to run some "cheap" tests on your own for your own information (wont do any good with Ins Co) send me a p.m. and I can tell you how and reputable lab to run your samples.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perhaps you could consider bringing in a civil engineer to determine the structural damages. It might be more cost effective than other possible options. With what material has the house been built?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts