Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 18 years old, ya i saw this site is for business owners but i seriously want to learn. My first project will be this summer replacing my dad's roof, im doing lots of research because i've never roofed before. I am going to start my own Home Renovation business when i learn what i will need first. Has anyone started a contracting business in niagara falls? Can you tell me a bit about it? Is there any vital information you feel that a noob should know? Please let me know you are the pros, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mario.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Well, I'm glad you show initiative to want to learn.:thumbsup:

Just try to read and study your craft. Be the best at it. Whatever it is. Work harder than everyone else.

Hang-out, research and learn, and welcome to the site:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Well, I'm glad you show initiative to want to learn.:thumbsup:

Just try to read and study your craft. Be the best at it. Whatever it is. Work harder than everyone else.

Hang-out, research and learn, and welcome to the site:thumbsup:
Great advise right there!
I will add that you should be well faceted and be prepared to take on whatever comes your way (within reason) to put cash in your pocket.
And remember, failure is not an option.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Welcome to CT, show up ready to work everyday, return all phone calls, be fair and honest, treat peoples homes with respect, be a gentleman. Before you know it 25 years will have passed, and you will be sitting pretty :thumbsup:. G

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Mario;

Welcome to the group !

"Do a job that no one else wants to do and do it well and you will have a job for life"

That saying is as true now as ever.

Care about your work and give your customers more than they pay for and you cant go wrong. Get people talking about you and how you did such a great job for them.

People love to deal with contractors they feel they can trust. It doesnt matter if its Niagara Falls or Falls Church or Alberquerque...Albekaw...Alba Aw forget it you know what I mean

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Welcome Mario. Also glad to see young guy entering the field. I have a 22yr old nephew who hasn't finished high school, won't work, on his computer all night. What he hasn't learned yet and mayber never will is he is wasting away his life. Make the most of it everyday man. Good Luck :clap:

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
Live by the Golden Rule

Honestly, you may be thinking what you need is business info, or how to bid (please don't ask, you have been warned ;) ), or knowledge of a trade or skill, but all of that will be gotten in time.

And all of that won't be enough for you if you don't follow that one simple rule, the Golden Rule.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks alot for the acknowledgement, ill be sure to read many books on home renovation, starting with roofing. And i will start making connections with established remodelers in the falls how ever i can, thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mario, when you go into business, make sure you set aside money for your accountant and your lawyer. Try to have a good amount of money set aside before you start. That is, don't rely on profits for a while, you'll need a cushion until you have a ton of customers. And, as you get bigger, keep that cushion of money growing. Also, always keep up on knowledge, skills, abilities, college, contacts, that will help you in case you have to leave construction.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Welcome to CT! My first piece of advice would be to keep this attitude you have right now. We don't want to hear you on here 2 years from now telling us how you know everything and that the rest of us are a bunch of hacks. There's a couple of kids running around here already who have that market cornered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts