Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy there guys. Just wondering if there is a alternative place to recycle or dispose of asphalt roofing. Any help would be appreciated:thumbup:

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I don't know how similar the material is between roof shingles and the road materials but I am starting to see road construction companies that recycle the road asphalt that they collect while milling and repaving. Perhaps your roof shingles can go into the hopper with everything else.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
We have a dump just for shingles in dallas. Its awesome. If you can manage to separate the trash plastic and wood from the shingles, its where u wanna go. I think its a flat fee, 80 $, and you tip the guy a little if u need a pull off. You don't even have to get out of the truck. It doesn't smell like chit and its very very clean.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We have a dump just for shingles in dallas. Its awesome. If you can manage to separate the trash plastic and wood from the shingles, its where u wanna go. I think its a flat fee, 80 $, and you tip the guy a little if u need a pull off. You don't even have to get out of the truck. It doesn't smell like chit and its very very clean.
I wish we had something similar, I hate garbage juice:thumbsup:

·
Aka clvr83
121 Posts
Rooferman: $0 as long as there isn't any other debris.

This is a new thing, so I expect there to be some charge in the future. It used to be $20/ton but was about 35 miles from me, making it non-profitable.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
The place I go is about 10 minutes from my house, no charge. They're also an asphalt plant so they make money by saving on purchasing asphalt for road paving.

·
Registered
402 Posts
We now have our recycling facility operating in Indianapolis. The future is very bright in this industry. As soon as states start mandating that asphalt contain recycles for road projects......the price for recycled asphalt will go up as demand grows. BTW....We will do grinding for $17 a ton, 10,000 ton minimum, nationwide.

This is a video done of the machine running in Detroit. Notice all the nails at 1:20 mark. I was amazed at how many nails come out of roofing.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
This is a new thing, so I expect there to be some charge in the future.
Not if there is a benefit to them receiving it. It wouldn't be too far fetched if they actually started PAYING for the shingles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Though it differs from state to state the actual amount of shingles allowed in HMA is around 5% without dropping to a 58-28 liquid, then again depending on the state might be as high as 15% with that said it is definitely an environmentally friendly and cost-effective alternative to virgin material, but I would not consider at this point a hot mix manufacture actually paying for the waste product.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts