Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i have no clue about Asphalt and how it's priced but my bro in law has just gotten a price of $15 a yard installed :eek:. Sounds cheap to me and sounds like a funny way to price it. Basicly how much would it cost to do a path 6ft wide x 200ft long. It's on a slope and it's a path for a golf cart and im trying to get a rough cost for him with it being done correct. it's in a s shape also. I guess some kind of grading and base will have to be done before the asphalt goes down. One guy quoted him $9000 all in and that sounds more like it to me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You need to figure out volume in cubic yards. It's pretty easy.

Let's say you want the asphalt 1 foot thick. Makes it easy, nice round number. Less than a foot split it into 3 inch lengths. That would .25, .50, and .75.

So the formula for 1 foot thickness would look like 200 X 60 X 1 = 12,000 cubic feet.

There are 27 cubic feet in a yard. So divide 12,000 by 27 which is 444.45 yards.

Since you'll likely be buying whole yards of asphalt assume you'll be paying for 445 yards.

445 yards times $15 a yard is $6675.

The thickness is the variable you need to nail down to determins how much asphalt you need.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Bob, your math is good for gravel or concrete, but I don't think it relates to asphalt. Aspahlt (from the producer) is alway sold by the ton as far as I've ever seen. I cant remember the calculation, as it didn't quite make sense to me, as I use a method somewhat similar to yours on a daily basis for ordering crete. I think the contractor was bidding by the SQUARE yard, not by the CUBIC yard. Kind of like some floorings are sold, by the square yard. $15 per 9 sq. feet = $1.67 per sq. foot. Other bidder : $9000 for 1200 sq. feet = $7.50 per sq. foot.

BC, both #s seem crazy to me, especially the higher one, for asphalt. I have no idea where you are, but in my area I think it runs from $3-$5 per sq. foot, depending on the prep, for something with these dimensions. Again, that's just a guess as I can't see it, but I'm thinking one of those 2 contractors must have been guessing too!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Ok guys i have no clue about Asphalt and how it's priced but my bro in law has just gotten a price of $15 a yard installed :eek:. Sounds cheap to me and sounds like a funny way to price it. Basicly how much would it cost to do a path 6ft wide x 200ft long. It's on a slope and it's a path for a golf cart and im trying to get a rough cost for him with it being done correct. it's in a s shape also. I guess some kind of grading and base will have to be done before the asphalt goes down. One guy quoted him $9000 all in and that sounds more like it to me.

Here is what I paid last year. Driveway 12'x50', with custa run base and all labor to install same=$1450.

nOW i REALLY BELIEVE THE PRICE WILL DEPEND (SORRY) on where you live and the time it will take. I have never heard of it priced by the yard.

One foot will be extreemly thick!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Thanks guys but im none the wiser lol :sad: to many numbers lol :blink:

Basicly it would be 2" thick asphalt with a gravel base of maybe 6" and 6ftx200ft. What would be a sensible figure for the cost of that.
Here is the ultimate answer!!
pick up the pH:thumbup::clap:eek:ne and get 3 contractors to look at it and give you a price.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is what I paid last year. Driveway 12'x50', with custa run base and all labor to install same=$1450.

nOW i REALLY BELIEVE THE PRICE WILL DEPEND (SORRY) on where you live and the time it will take. I have never heard of it priced by the yard.

One foot will be extreemly thick!!!:thumbsup:

Cheers Framer53 that gives me a rough idea.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks guys but im none the wiser lol :sad: to many numbers lol :blink:

Basicly it would be 2" thick asphalt with a gravel base of maybe 6" and 6ftx200ft. What would be a sensible figure for the cost of that.
Where are you located? How long will it take for the contractor to excavate the soil ? How far will the contractor have to truck the soil to & bring the gravel from ? How far is the asphalt plant away ? What's the grade of the "Sloping land", steep like a cliff or a 2% grade ? How far from the road is the path ? There's a lot more variables that a contractor would have to access from a visit to the site. The correct answer is not available here.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Where are you located? How long will it take for the contractor to excavate the soil ? How far will the contractor have to truck the soil to & bring the gravel from ? How far is the asphalt plant away ? What's the grade of the "Sloping land", steep like a cliff or a 2% grade ? How far from the road is the path ? There's a lot more variables that a contractor would have to access from a visit to the site. The correct answer is not available here.

BINGO, we have a winner!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well, at least we all learned Bob can calculate volume and that Bob knows jack about asphalt.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just paid 50 cents a s/f for a 1 inch overlay on a road that I built 2 years ago...city required the overlay as part of the warranty period.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Google "asphalt calculators"

I believe one should check installed thickness of product..I have found 4" finished gives good service life.A good rule of thumb is 4" gives 2" rolled and so on.Also depends on jobsite conditions and how much removal/disposal there is.Here in Denver the last bid I sub'd out ranged from $1.85 - $2.15 for 4" compacted,oil prices being a variable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At 2 inches thick compacted it would take 16 tons of asphalt. Asphalt is sold by the ton. Some companies will give you a square foot price installed. Asphalt will compact about 1/4 inch per inch. So if you want 2 inches compacted you would lay 2.5 inches. $9000 is way to much, I would think it would be between $2500 and $3000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly, quoting customers in price per yard kinda strange, I'm used to doing per square foot, because everyone know what "square footage" means. New asphalt is generally 2.50 to 3 bucks per square foot, depending on the size of the job.

Bottom line, the simpler you make it for the consumer to understand, the more of a chance you have on being hired.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Honestly, quoting customers in price per yard kinda strange, I'm used to doing per square foot, because everyone know what "square footage" means. New asphalt is generally 2.50 to 3 bucks per square foot, depending on the size of the job.

Bottom line, the simpler you make it for the consumer to understand, the more of a chance you have on being hired.
This thread is 8 years old. I recently got asphalt for $1.91 sq/ft. 1.5" base, 1.5" topcoat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts