Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just curious if anybody has tackled something like this and what problems I might run into. I'm thinking 1 and 5/8ths toprail for the frame, just not sure how to do the 3-way brackets/sleeves on corners or how to mount it in concrete. Any speculation welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, nah its a batting cage for baseball, basically a long, narrow box something like 12ft by 70 ft by 15ft high. Netting will be hung from the frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yea, I'm sure I can get the needed materials from our local supplier (Stephens pipe and steel). Was just more concerned with the actual technique of building it, assuming I will need a sleeve post for the corners, something around the size of a line post maybe. And the larger question of whether top rail may be too flimsy. I've never tried to build a large 3d box with the stuff.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,001 Posts
First you need to know what net is going to be used. They come in different sizes. You also need to know how fast the ball is going to be pitched / hit. This effects siting. Fast moving balls will move netting 3-4 feet before getting slowed down enough to not do much damage. Is this going to be a permanent installation, a semipermanent (pins in the ground), or temporary (guy wires)?

For some general information on commercially available frames, check this out:

http://jugssports.com/productlist.aspx?page=1&id=1100&taxid=129

Unless this is going to be an all chain link fencing cage (and I bet it won't be), the frame only uses 90 degree elbows

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info. I had pictured it more as a box instead of the 3 or 4 u-shaped supports. The customer used to pitch in the Minor Leagues so I'm guessing I need a heavy net as possible. I'm still thinking I can build it much cheaper with toprail than the frame kits I see online, guess I'll get them to pick out net dimension and then go from there.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,001 Posts
Good info. I had pictured it more as a box instead of the 3 or 4 u-shaped supports. The customer used to pitch in the Minor Leagues so I'm guessing I need a heavy net as possible. I'm still thinking I can build it much cheaper with toprail than the frame kits I see online, guess I'll get them to pick out net dimension and then go from there.
You've seen the prices - you can definitely make it cheaper than buying one on-line. If he was semi pro, he should have a very good idea of what he wants.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I have built a few, and my last one was the best. 3 inch heavy wall pipe posts 12 feet long set in concrete, and 3/8 galvanized cable tensioned 4 corners, same for 3 sides on bottom. 50 feet long, 11 feet high, and used lightweight net. Balls are not damaged striking the net like they will chainlink.

I have a cage in my garage for my little girl. 45 feet long, 10 wide and high, and all supported by cables running the length of the garage. Has an Iron Mike pitching machine inside also, plus a pitching backstop.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have purchased netting here before, great guys http://www.incord.com/

I would try to have footplates welded to the pipes so you can anchor, and not have to core drill. if you do core drill, you may need permission of the building owner if your customer is a tenant.

If you top tie the posts to the roof structure, allow for float so that the roof can deflect under snow loads. I capture the pipe but not fasten to the structure overhead.

As said already, cables and turnbuckles work will, you can also run cables through eyelets around the perimeter, around a pulley, then down to the base of a building column so you can lower the netting for service or removal at any point, eliminating the need for a scissor lift.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not sure where your located Buck. But if it's in the southeast call Capitol wholesale in Nashville, Tennessee and ask for Mitch. Better yet go on the Capitol website and you should/will be able to figure it out. They have a ton of options on all sizes of your pipes, netting, and so forth. Green should be your color. Master Halco is another Fence wholesaler i use, but as I don't know your location, because it's not filled out.......

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
We had a jugs batting cage and pitching machine growing up. Pretty much it was 3 square arches with hooks on them so 3 cables could run the ling way and about 1000 clips to hang the net off the cables.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts