Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a gated community, we have 2 wooden vehicle bridges. Super Bowl Sunday, someone crashed into the railing on one.

The end post got snapped, and all the consecutive railing posts were canted about 2 inches over. About a 40' bridge, could be shorter?

I was asked to bid on it.
Never done work on a bridge before. This should be interesting.

I've casually crawled all over the bridge out of curiosity and it looks very sound, damage appears to be isolated to the one handrail/rub rail. Tomorrow I'll "officially" look it over.

Praying this goes well, would like to have a bridge in my portfolio.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I'm mildly concerned about liability.

If I build back to original specs, and mirror the design of the original. I would still be 100% liable for any issue. I touched it, I own it.

The bridge is over a drainage marsh, and about 3ft off the ground at the highest point.

I think it's as basic as it gets, I need to check and see how far I'm covered with this sort of carpentry.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
I'd be afraid of the next time someone hit it. If it didn't budge just right you may have a lawsuit on your hands. I'm sure bridge builders have special licenses and insurance for that sort of thing.

Same reason I don't install mailboxes anymore..

·
Always Learning
8,855 Posts
Talk to your insurance, get an engineers stamp for the repair, and bid it. I get the liability thing, but that is why we have insurance. As long as they approve, go for it.

We built a bridge before for small tractors on a guys property. He had a small creek running through his property and was tired of going to the road to get to the other side.(typically why you build a bridge...lol) Was a fun project and is still there! We even drove our bobcat s175 over it. That was well over 15 years ago.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting point, about the "crush zone?" thing.

This is a low speed area with a 25mph posted limit. I think deflection is more the name of the game here.

In my opinion the rub rail was MISSING, because it was installed up at 4ft.
And the bridge deck has a 6x10? looking beam as a "curb" running the length.

I think there should have been a rub rail installed at the mid point between curb and top rail.

The current damage was done because the vehicle's bumper hooked/collided with a vertical post.
Had there been a rub rail this bridge might not have been damaged, and the vehicle would have just suffered a nasty scrape.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Bearded Wonder said:
I wouldn't be afraid to work on it, provided you aren't stepping into waters your insurance won't cover. But I would have an engineer spec all the work, and follow it to the letter. Sounds like a fun project.
One would hope not to step in any water

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Doesn't GA require a specific license for roadways and bridges? Here in NM my commercial GC license doesn't cover it.

Reactions: egettys
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.