Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a unique situation where an 8 inch wide by 9 feet long threshold of a home gets lost water and element has rotten to a sponge and the HO wants to replace it with a threshold made with a material that wont rot. My thought was to go Asek but I have never milled the stuff so I'm not sure if it would work. Hell, I'm not even sure if I can get this stuff in 1 1/2" thick by 8 to 10 inches wide.

Any thoughts are welcome.

By the way the HO want the threshold painted with a though epoxy paint.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
you can get it in a full 1 1/4 now i belive or you can glue 2 pcs of 3/4 together i suppose
Tom, you are correct, you can get it in full 1 1/4".

Gluing two pieces together might work, you may have a slight seam, but if you are epoxy painting it, that may not matter. I would check to see how azek and epoxy paint work together....

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes you can glue pieces of (Azek) together. Depending on where you are heat related, you may not want to use epoxy paint. Azek is PVC, and if in direct sunlight like here in central Florida plastics move alot. The hard epoxy I dont think will like that

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Azek was originally known as Aztek.

I agree with TFB, - - too soft and too flexible for a threshold.

And as stated further above, - - find and fix the real problem.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Explain what this is, then solve this problem, before doing anything with the threshold.
Al right then. Asek won't do so I'll look at something else

Sorry for the confusion. I was in a rush to get out and finish some other project when I typed my inquiry so let me clarify. The threshold for the front double doors of the home in question has rotted away so bad that a portion of it turned mooshy like sponge. the owner knows it because his house was designed a certain way and wants to add gutters to the affected area. I suggested we should test this theory and hose up the roof to see how the water comes down and then decide how and where to add gutters. The gutters are going in no matter what.

So, as far as I can tell the threshold gets soaking wet when it rains because the house was designed with no overhang what so ever and there are no gutters anywhere on the edge of the roof so the front door bottom gets plenty of direct rain and splashing from the water pouring from the roof edge. there are no sprinklers anywhere near the front door.

The HO does not want wood and wants a tough marine grade finish, its a bit of an odd ball but I am not in the business of turning down work with the economy being busted and all so I looking at my options.

What hell, my prediction is that I'll convince him to use wood after all.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
maybe an extrusion, coil even in the heavier gauges usually
start looking poor in that kind of application with foot traffic and snow
shovels and such,pvc while not perfect is more easily refinished imo

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
They don't extrude those aluminum
sills in 3' pieces you know.
I'd bet you could order 9' with