Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

Ancient house, old hvac system, noticed some white papery-stuff wrapped around a couple of supply ducts - just an inch of it sticking out the (unfinished) basement ceiling, but clearly it's wrapped around the ducyt all the way up inside the wall to the second floor where it terminates at a register.

Had a small piece of it tested, ya, it contains asbestos. So I'm having anything exposed removed by pros and the duct passages in the basement ceiling sealed, no problem.

But what about the stuf in the wall?

I've come across two schools of thought:

1) It's sealed inside the wall and it's on the outside of the ducts, so no way can this be an issue for occupants. Seal the basement ceiling passages and forget about it, there's no problem.

2) If it's in there, it's a problem waiting to happen, get it outta there. Have the remediation pros rip it out and re-drywall. It'll cost, but you'll sleep better.

What do other renovators or remediation folk think?

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
Asbestos - band aid

This is very common in many homes here in Vancouver. We run into this all the time. The problem is that every seam on your duct lines will have it. The runs up the walls will have even more.

With the Asbestos's age the tape is brittle and fibers on the edges are very loose. Cleaning your duct lines will disturb these tape seams and let small fibers go air born.

You should remove it all from your home and hire a pro to do this.

If you want a short term solution paint the seams with Zissner Shellac based Primer. This stuff stinks to high heaven but will help keep the loose fibers in place. Some spray foam around the edges where the duct enters the stud walls will help stop air movement inside these areas.

Wear a mask and take care not to loosen the fibers on the tape. Once you breath them in they are with you for life.

Good Luck.

Work Safe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I believe if meomry serves OSHA requires you to stop work immediately once you find some asbestos and have it all abated. I worked in a building for three years that had asbestos through out the entire building including the ceiling. Also the house on base that we lived in for about 6 months had it. I would have perfered if they had abated all of it but you know the government. So my wife and i will probobly have some problums down the road.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I believe if meomry serves OSHA requires you to stop work immediately once you find some asbestos and have it all abated. I worked in a building for three years that had asbestos through out the entire building including the ceiling. Also the house on base that we lived in for about 6 months had it. I would have perfered if they had abated all of it but you know the government. So my wife and i will probobly have some problums down the road.
Meh 6 months spent in a house that contained asbestos you shouldnt worry. I went through grade school and high school in a building packed with the crap. Now if you were downstairs using all the pipes wrapped with it as a punching bag then hit the treadmill underneath it for 45 mins you might have some concerns.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,216 Posts
1) It's sealed inside the wall and it's on the outside of the ducts, so no way can this be an issue for occupants. Seal the basement ceiling passages and forget about it, there's no problem.
This one, definitely. Asbestos, like many other substances, is only a meaningful health hazard when you are exposed to large amounts--or smaller amounts over a long period of time, as in occupational exposure. What you're describing above is essentially encapsulation, which is a governmentally endorsed means of remediation.

I'm really getting weary of Chicken Little syndrome.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lost my dad to Mesothelioma, trust me, you don't want any of that **** in your lungs, get the pro's to take care of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts