Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a homeoner who needs advice on my asbestos roof. The roof is 60 years old and looks to be in poor condition missing shingels and lots off moss. The shilgels are an aspestos material made to look like slate. there are 2 or three small leaks all in the valleys. I have had 4 contractors in to look at the roof 1 said to replace it and 2 said to patch it and the fourth said he would not touch it because it was asbestos. Does anny one here have experiance with this type of roofing. My gut says to replace it but because it is asbestos it looks as though the tear off will cost an additional 4000 due to it being asbestos.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You're in a tough situation. Almost impossible to do a re-cover over this type of shingles. The tear-off will have to be bagged & tagged and go to special dump w/high fees. I don't know about $4k, guess you have a big roof. Roofer will have to lhave trained/certified guys to do it. Roofer will also have to have special insurance. Usually the roofer will have to be a big BUR shop to have these guys. Lots of old BUR's have asbestos felts, so they are setup to do it.
Wish you luck,
Jim

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Asbestos abatement is costly. 4000 is probably for the dump fees alone. I had to walk from a big job from one of my best customers due to the fact that they wantd us to remove transite for them. We are not asbestos certified, and I offered to find tem a reputable company to do the work, but that wasn't good 'nuff. :(

I would say do it and get it over with. It will be more costly in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my area, they allow homeowners to deal with the asbestos shingles and siding without the permits, fees, etc. just as they would deal with any other debris, while any contractor doing it needs to have the permits, pay the fees, bag it up 3 times, etc.
You might check with your building dept. on this.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
In the area I now reside I see a lot of those roofs( but dont work on them ), often times the asbestos roof is the second layer over a layer of wood shingles, over spaced sheating. Perhaps this is the reason for the $4000
An option sometimes suggested is to encase the asbestos. A good material to do this with would be some kind of metal system because it is light weight and doesnt absorb moisture. Though I havent done it.
The best way would be to tear it off and put up another roof and be done with it as others have said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you were right i just finnished doing the tear off and dispoal of my asbestos roof my self and the contractor is starting to put the new one on today... thanks alot you saved me 4000.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Aaron I'd have found a certified asbestos abatement company and hired them as a sub contractor.

I hope your insurance covers lung cancer Chris.

By The Way...

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYRepair.com/forums/

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYRepair.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYRepair.com/forums/ If your not already a member of DIYRepair.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diyrepair.com/forums/register.php?

Check here for the oficial policy: http://www.contractortalk.com/showthread.php?t=2913

We apoligize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.