Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer: My bath floor is old and my toilet is leaking into the basement below.I need an estimate for a new toilet and a new floor. I have a 30 year old sticky back floor tile and want to match the existing.

Answer: You may have asbestos in the existing floor, have you received any other estimates for the flooring.

Answer: yeah, got a quote from budget baths and they wanted 5000.00 to replace the toilet and the floor.

Question: 5000.00????????

Real question: Is there something Im missing here or is asbestos abatement that expensive.???

REAL QUESTION: How many of us have removed flooring without knowing if asbestos is really in the existing flooring? I cant possibly justify charging a customer 5k for a days worth of work.

Seriously- how do you know if asbestos is in the existing flooring???
How do you find out???

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
If they are 9x9 it's a safe bet.....

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Customer: My bath floor is old and my toilet is leaking into the basement below.I need an estimate for a new toilet and a new floor. I have a 30 year old sticky back floor tile and want to match the existing.

Answer: You may have asbestos in the existing floor, have you received any other estimates for the flooring.

Answer: yeah, got a quote from budget baths and they wanted 5000.00 to replace the toilet and the floor.

Question: 5000.00????????

Real question: Is there something Im missing here or is asbestos abatement that expensive.???

REAL QUESTION: How many of us have removed flooring without knowing if asbestos is really in the existing flooring? I cant possibly justify charging a customer 5k for a days worth of work.

Seriously- how do you know if asbestos is in the existing flooring???
How do you find out???
Like Jumbo said if they are 9x9 they will most likely have asbestos in them.

The way to find out is have them tested, it will be less than $100 for a test.

To have the tiles abated it shouldn't be much unless the bathroom is very large, sounds like someone is using scare tactics.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I would think anytype of asbestos flooring abatement would be cheaper than other types for the fact that flooring (asbestos) was designed to be more resilient than other products that contain(ed) asbestos.

·
Registered
475 Posts
In most states home owners can legally remove asbestos tiles themselves. If you hire a legitimate contractor the procedures and expenses are pretty outrageous. I don't know if $5k for a bath is fair but the best thing to do is learn the proper methods that are safe and legal to do yourself and then get on your knees and GET "R DONE!

Throw a skimcoat of Ardex Feather Finish on any glue or residue, then call a flooring contractor.

·
Registered
475 Posts
How much can they remove?
How is it disposed of?
This varies from state to state. In most cases you can tear out the whole house and throw it in the normal trash if it's bagged up correctly. It's up to you to check local and state ordinances. Typically they want you to wet everything to keep the dust down and bag it all up in relatively thick contractor bags and tape those up. That's a done deal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, ive decided not to even give an estimate.
I did a job 4 years ago that lasted four months(the house was 164 years old). Ive had enough of the guess work.

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
If the tiles have the big A in them, it is surely encapsulated in the asphalt.
No worries, except matching the color.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts