Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was a go until they tested the old shingles on the 100+ year old building and of course found them to contain asbestos. I have never had to deal with this before other than to rip them off and throw them out :laughing:.

Apparently we are not allowed to do that anymore, fair enough. Now what?

Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with this scenario before, and what it is they had to do and go through. Not looking forward to it for sure...those hazmat suits must get damn hot up on the roof! :blink:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Your reg may be different of course, but for roof and siding asbestos shingles we only had to handle and dispose of properly. Different from insulation wrap or other forms of asbestos.

With winter coming you might want to get some of the suits anyway.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uh, they're now talking about vacuuming granules from the roof first, then the ground after :blink:.

This reminds me of that joke where the yuppie goes camping with a broom and dustpan, because obviously with all that dirt laying around the forest floor, somebody isn't doing a very good job cleaning up!

For 15 squares, the training and all that doesn't seem to justify, unless we can up the profit several hundred percent. I know of another, rather large job in town where they had to get an asbestos crew to come remove the shingles (not roofers, just rubber glover's). Needless to say it took forever, and it is the same group looking after this.

Yay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts