Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put up the blog post abotu roof top decks. I wrote a letter to a property manager this morning so that she could submit to the board of an association who is plannning on some roofing work this year. They asked me for some tips in the design phase. After I was proof reading, I figured with a few tweaks it would make an excellent informative article for the general public.

http://cid-02b2b15795b9d93a.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2B2B15795B9D93A!145.entry

P.S. Nathan, feel free to repost.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice article, Grumpy.

I see it all to often, a six plus figure house on the ocean with a beautiful deck and concrete columns over the deck and a torch down system under it, no sleeper pads and bad flashing... costs more to lift the concrete rail and decking than the repair... then they want to cheap out on the repair anyhow...:censored::furious:

Oh well, we'll be back in a few years and do it again...:laughing:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice article, Grumpy.

I see it all to often, a six plus figure house on the ocean with a beautiful deck and concrete columns over the deck and a torch down system under it, no sleeper pads and bad flashing... costs more to lift the concrete rail and decking than the repair... then they want to cheap out on the repair anyhow...:censored::furious:

Oh well, we'll be back in a few years and do it again...:laughing:
People spend money on the bling. what they often times fail to recognize is that the bling is only the tip of the ice berg, as is the case especially with roof decks and roof gardens. But the roof beneath the garden isn't seen, so the consumer's can't brag "look at my hard wood, look at my granite, look at my roof deck."

I had a friend who had to install $10k worth of interior drain tile in his basement. When he was telling me about it he said "the worth part is I can't even show anyone. This is the American consumer mentality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts