Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposedly we will get hit later this week for several days of freezing temperatures. This hasn't happened here since the 80's at Christmas time & at that time everyone seemed to have frozen pipes which eventually burst (big buck$ for anyone calling themselves a plumber back then). I remember that most people left their water dripping & that it lowered the water pressure & that is why the big freeze?
What is the correct way to brace for these temperatures in our climate? (yes, I know we are all sissies around here).
Steve

·
Sean
5,532 Posts
Exposed pipes in crawlspace, unfinished basement, exposed on the outside (Slab on grade - water line comes in via the wall)

Insulate them if they are not already - make sure crawl space vents are closed - if your kitchen sink is on an outside wall with the pipes in the cavity (Not sure if they will freeze or not) leave the cabinet doors open - heat tape if you are going into the low single digits - space heater in the attic or crawl space may be an option if it starts getting down to low single digits

Drip method works - make sure it is both hot & cold water lines though

Take your hoses off the spigots - hopefully you have the frost ones, if not they have insulation blocks that fit over them

check my blog later as I finish up the article as we are supposed to get down to around 5 degrees in a few days also

Thank goodness for Global Warning

·
Registered
100 Posts
Keep the wind off your pipes! Down south thats usually what makes the difference. Back in decmber of 89 was the last big one and way more damage was on the northern exposed homes from the wind chill. Running water is a method but you better make sure you let them run fast enough....it takes than a drip. Insulate,keep wind off of pipes and let them run alittle. On outside plumbing walls open cabinets to let more heat in the wall. Drop lights work well under houses as a source of heat but care must be taken not to burn tha place down as they get hot but the houses must be skirted to help keep the little bit of heat in and the wind out. Your only trying to keep the pipe from freezing solid until it warms back up during the day........but it looks like this time like back in 89 its not gonna warm up much.. Its gonna be insane if it gets as cold for aslong as they say it is. Get ready to work boys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts