Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for a new right knee. Bone on bone with arthritis. Going to happen sooner or later, why put up with the pain.

Not accepting any big jobs right now, concentrating on finishing up existing.

Thinking end of February. Any of you guys get this done? I did a partial knee on left 3 yrs ago. That is doing great.

Drywall makes you old before your time!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Best of luck with your new knee! It's amazing how routine they have become, with excellent results. My wife had her hip done about 15 years ago, & it's been trouble free, even though she does daily walks.

Hope you recovery is a short one!:thumbsup:

Joe

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I haven't had it done personally but everyone I've spoken too that had it done said they wished they did it 10 years before.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I need my knee done also but Dr. said I can't work for 5-6 months, which isn't going to happen.

What did they say about when you will be able to go back to work?

My Mother had it done in Oct., 20 min operation. Said it was painful but now is fine, rehab hurts. Hurts more if you don't exercise like they tell you to do. Then they will move it for you.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A knee is a little tougher than a hip (they kept me in overnight for the hip) but no at all bad. You do have to take it a little easier and listen to your body.

The most important thing is the pre-op exercises/therapy, which makes everything later much easier and then do the at home exercises while watching TV. Don't try to run through walls at first and feel your way.

Two months later, for a new knee (opposite or right side), I needed to have a earlier surgery to remove hardware for an accident 9 years earlier. The real knee surgery was 3 weeks later and I was in the hospital for two nights for insurance coverage purposes. I did the exercises (about the same as those before and after my hip surgery) and saw the doctor for a one week check-up. Three weeks later, I saw the doctor and got his blessing. I then asked about when I could drive and he said I could driven 2 weeks earlier or just a week ago since it was on the right side.

Looking forward to another new knee on the other side, but want to schedule it for the seasons and fishing.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need my knee done also but Dr. said I can't work for 5-6 months, which isn't going to happen.
That does not sound right. What do you do? I'm figuring a couple to three weeks.......Six at the most.

A knee is a little tougher than a hip (they kept me in overnight for the hip) but no at all bad. You do have to take it a little easier and listen to your body.

The most important thing is the pre-op exercises/therapy, which makes everything later much easier and then do the at home exercises while watching TV. Don't try to run through walls at first and feel your way.

Looking forward to another new knee on the other side, but want to schedule it for the seasons and fishing.
Thanks Dick, I'll ask doc about that pre-op exercise. And Bass fishing is red hot about the time of my recovery. :thumbsup:

I haven't had it done personally but everyone I've spoken too that had it done said they wished they did it 10 years before.
Exactly what I was thinking. Why put off the inevitable. Plus my deductible is paid in already.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A root canal can take up to an hour, yet knees these days can be done in 15 minutes.

Advanced carpentry I like to call it :laughing:

Good luck and happy healing - bone on bone is no fun from what the old timers tell me :whistling
Thanks. I knew for years that bone on bone was coming. Let me tell you, It's like a tooth ache in your knee. And the pain went all the way to my foot.

I recently went on a four hour trip. That drive about killed me. But while on that trip we hit a flea market and one vendor was selling pain relief creme. I bought some and can't believe that sh!t worked.:eek:

I've always seen commercials about those creams and the ones I've tried actually worked/helpled.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I take 1 anti inflammatory pill and 2 extra strength Tylenol every day, by the end of the day it starts to swell up. I am used to the pain now.

Had 2 surgery's already on the same knee, last time they removed the rest of the cartilage and drilled 20 or 30 holes in the end of the bone to create scar tissue. That worked for a few years, now thats all gone that whole side of the knee is bone on bone. On the xray the one side looks like 2 eggs with a small separation, the other looks like 2 broken bricks touching.

I am very interested in your recovery time. I was told 5-6 months off, no kneeling ever again. I cant see how that is possible.

You do know when it is bone on bone for the first time, that pain just shoots from your toes right up to your head.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. That hurts.

When I had my partial replacement 3 yrs ago it took a while before I could kneel with full weight. I wear the hard faced knee pads.

I think recovery time is based on you and your doctors abilities They are getting better at this every day.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
31,335 Posts
Two customers with new knee replacements...same doctor...7 days apart.

One follows the doctor's orders and is doing great...playing golf, walking the dog, etc.

The other thinks he is superman and pushes the limits. Back in the hospital twice and still limping around in pain.

I'd say do what the doctor tells you and exercise the leg before surgery. They say that makes a lot of difference with recovery.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Date set for March 5th. Go for MRI today. I hate going in that tube.

Hope to be in good enough shape to down a few beers with Dirtywhiteboy in May. Doctor raised his eyebrows a little when I mentioned my Hawaii trip.

·
Registered
797 Posts
But while on that trip we hit a flea market and one vendor was selling pain relief creme. I bought some and can't believe that sh!t worked.:eek:

I've always seen commercials about those creams and the ones I've tried actually worked/helpled.
What was in the ingredients? Good luck in the tube. Relax and it will be over before you know it.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
do not do the surgery, you will be fcuked for life.

you need a protein enzyme like micro lactin to eat up free radicals then
glucosamine and chondroitin with MSM to cushion your joints

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had my second hip done on November 19th.... I had counted on at least 2 months before I was ready to work again(based on my first hip). I had cleared my schedule, but then a small job came up about 3 weeks after the surgery.i was feeling really good so I took the job... Although I had a helper, I got carried away with myself, (plus I wanted to finish expeditiously), and really set myself back... For two weeks after that job , I was starting to worry about the recovery, but then after resting properly, and going to Pt, I feel great!
My advice, after 2 surgeries is, Don't push it ! From what I have seen , the knee is worse than the hip.
As scheduled I was back to work exactly 2 months after the surgery..
Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 124 Posts