Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
My guys will be cutting stucco. This should do it.

Mike.

Should do the trick. I had to get compliant last year and my subs were pretty pissed. Fitted respirators, drywallers sanding with vacuums, stucco guys on the hopper look like they are working with biological weaponry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
How old is it?

You have that stucco tested?

Last time I had to cut stucco it turned into an abatement issue....

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
God I hate any kind of dry masonry cut for some reason. Looks like you found the best way to do it

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
399 Posts
Anyone have an opinion or insight as to where mixing grout falls as far as exposure levels are concerned...? when masons are on site they are dumping the bags into the hopper often and that cloud seems to linger. I would guess it's similar to mixing a bag for post holes but not sure if it's enough to require protection from the standard?

What about thinset, especially if done indoors?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Anyone have an opinion or insight as to where mixing grout falls as far as exposure levels are concerned...? when masons are on site they are dumping the bags into the hopper often and that cloud seems to linger. I would guess it's similar to mixing a bag for post holes but not sure if it's enough to require protection from the standard?

What about thinset, especially if done indoors?

You are supposed to have a mask on when mixing bagged cements and sand, I would assume thin set would fall into that as well.

I believe the max silica dust allowed by osha in an 8 hour day is the equivalent to a packet of table sugar....that’s like one big breath

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
So when I was spreading stone on my driveway yesterday, kicking up a cloud of dust because it is so dry, I now have to wear a mask?

·
GC/carpenter
40,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So when I was spreading stone on my driveway yesterday, kicking up a cloud of dust because it is so dry, I now have to wear a mask?

Or keep it wet. You are even required to have dust containment on all jack hammers.

Mike.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Or keep it wet. You are even required to have dust containment on all jack hammers.

Mike.

Yes! jack hammers and even small demo/chipping hammers make an incredible amount of dust. I use them indoors all the time and it will fill up a room with a visible amount dust pretty quick

Just a little bit of water can make a huge difference in the amount of dust created, but then you have to deal with the slurry.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts