30 Posts
I sell my experience.

It costs what it costs.

Cost = Quality

Reactions: katoman

·
Banned
362 Posts
New clients on cost, old customers on quality...the price is just a bonus!

·
Registered
910 Posts
HA! I figured out a long time ago there will always be someone who is better than me, and always someone who is cheaper than me, but never someone who is as nice as me. I sell service.

·
J Meloche
109 Posts
do you honestly think anyone is going to admit to selling on price? just about everyone here is going to say service and quality. which i find strange because there are so many "i'll beat whatever price you get from another contractor" types around here. hell, just check craigslist!

there are tons more customers buying on price, now too. i've had a few admit they'd like to "take advantage" of desperate contractors these days.

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
I too sell on value; not mine but my customer's. I try not to spend my time with a customer extolling the virtues of me, myself, and I, nor my company. I try to listen to what my customer is telling me and I can't do that when I am talking. I am listening for the value they are telling me they want. It's not my value, its theirs. They want a larger space, a better layout, prettier decor, whatever. To them, that is the value they receive and that is what I sell them on.

Once you are past the first impression thing, you have heard the value they desire, then, and only then, can you start selling them on your own value and how it can bring about the results they want. Believe it or not, price, even in this economy, will be much lower on the scale when the process is approached this way.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I didn't realize this was a trick question, I am going to change my answer and copy Mike's: Identify the customer's pain and make it go away.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,674 Posts
I sell on service and quality. If they can't afford me I'm not lowering my price. The price is what the price is.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
I sell on all 3 options:

1. Price. Prospect must be willing to pay my biz fairly. My labor prices are non-negotiable.

2. Quality. This is a given. Must be done to code. No short-cuts ever.

3. Service. The most important one in my opinion. The way we conduct ourselves as a company and ongoing customer support are vital to continue to get the prices we deserve.

Great thread.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I sell on all 3 options:

1. Price. Prospect must be willing to pay my biz fairly. My labor prices are non-negotiable.

3. Service. The most important one in my opinion. The way we conduct ourselves as a company and ongoing customer support are vital to continue to get the prices we deserve.

Great thread.
I've got to agree with this 100%. Price and quality, at least to an extent, will fall to the wayside if the service is there. The best price is fair to both parties and delivers what the customer desires.

Much of what a conscientious tradesman might consider as unacceptable is spot on to the well tended customer. Not that we should lower our standards, but ours are higher than the clients most of the time. So someone with lessor trade skills but better customer service can easily win the job regardless of their price.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Much of what a conscientious tradesman might consider as unacceptable is spot on to the well tended customer. Not that we should lower our standards, but ours are higher than the clients most of the time. So someone with lessor trade skills but better customer service can easily win the job regardless of their price.

Good Luck
Dave
Completely correct. I've experienced this. People want to know the truth about any issue concerning their project or issues that may arise during working procedures.

People also want you do what you say you will do. Once they see that you call EVERY time you say you will, show up 10 minutes early to every encounter with them, and finally do their project with precision and professionalism, then you become a company that people hire solely on merits alone. Price becomes less of an issue to them. They will say they must have your company do their project.

Due to the horror stories heard or encountered by the average H/O, trust becomes a huge issue for people when hiring a company. The most successful contractors have built their reputations up with referrals and recommendations from past clients. If you do great work and are professional, this info spreads like wildfire -- Regardless of your prices!

·
Banned
397 Posts
sometimes folks will tell me that i came in in the middle on price. people hire on a combo of price and salesmanship. heres all you need to close a sale. (please paypal me 100 for the info)

1. Cover your tatts.
2. Dress appropriately.
3. Take the piercings out of your face.
4. Dont ask for a sig on the first meeting.
5. Resist the urge to warn them about using your competition.
6. Highlight your strong points such as ref., exp., warranty, ect.
7. Show up on time. Not early or late.
8. Set your price mid-range.
9. Always accept the drink if offered. Thats the first thing they give you.

edit. I forgot the most important thing. Never run a "canned" speech. Always use "the good ole boy" approach.

·
chief pencil holder
1,605 Posts
Quote:

"DavidCQuote:
Originally Posted by Darwin
I sell on all 3 options:

Great thread.

I've got to agree with this 100%. Price and quality, at least to an extent, will fall to the wayside if the service is there. The best price is fair to both parties and delivers what the customer desires.

Good Luck
Dave "

Amen to that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Kind of curious about what is meant by 'service'.

1. Being on time, keeping a job site clean, honoring HO concerns, being respectful, ......... or

2. taking care of the call backs? ...... or

something else.

1 should be a given. I don't receive 2. I don't get an option to 'service' in that respect. This is not 'entirely' true but it is extremely rare.

I am curious what is meant by 'service' honestly.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Kind of curious about what is meant by 'service'.

1. Being on time, keeping a job site clean, honoring HO concerns, being respectful, ......... or

2. taking care of the call backs? ...... or

something else.

1 should be a given. I don't receive 2. I don't get an option to 'service' in that respect. This is not 'entirely' true but it is extremely rare.

I am curious what is meant by 'service' honestly.
You don't provide a one year, before-the-warranty-expires, job check?

Every job has something that can be attended to after one year. This is a great opportunity to check the general condition of the house, most home owners appreciate an "expert eye", and will call you when it's time for the next project.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts