Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Founder - WindowRealm.co
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Window Peeps! Are you on social networks like twitter? Have you generated any business in this new medium? If so, would you share your strategy for success?

I see a post here about facebook where everyone's posted their pages, how about twitter - post your username/page on twitter so we can follow!

Here is mine: twitter.com/windowrealm

·
Founder - WindowRealm.co
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even better!

Thanks Angus! Not sure how I missed that one.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Twitter marketing is pointless for small business or anyone who isnt a celebrity. Their, I said it.
I used to think the same thing until I begrudgingly setup a Twitter account.

Twitter is actually a good educational/informational resource.

By following other contractors around the country, you will definitely get onto some interesting articles you probably wouldn't see otherwise.

Other things Twitter is better than traditional web-based services are things like local news, traffic, ski reports, coupons, specials, etc...

This info comes to me rather than me having to go find it.

And yes...it is fun to follow Bob Saget. There...I said it. :laughing:

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Greg Di said:
I used to think the same thing until I begrudgingly setup a Twitter account.

Twitter is actually a good educational/informational resource.

By following other contractors around the country, you will definitely get onto some interesting articles you probably wouldn't see otherwise.

Other things Twitter is better than traditional web-based services are things like local news, traffic, ski reports, coupons, specials, etc...

This info comes to me rather than me having to go find it.

And yes...it is fun to follow Bob Saget. There...I said it. :laughing:
Yes, it has uses but I don't see many future customers following you on twitter.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,822 Posts
I owe a great deal of the PR exposure and recognition I've received over the last year to social media, and that includes Twitter. I've used it to build relationships with colleagues, media professionals, and thought leaders across the country since the Fall of '09. As a reputation and credibility builder, it's a very powerful tool. You don't have to be a celebrity, but you do have to be genuine.

The Big50 award, the cover of Professional Remodeler this month, and numerous article mentions--including a piece in this month's Holmes on Homes magazine--all traced to connections I've made through Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and the forums.

Social media supports a good marketing plan, it doesn't replace it. While many of those in my online networks are outside of my market, over the last 6 months I've seen a big increase in the number of local Twitter connections. Most of them are professionals who use it to promote their own businesses--but those folks sit squarely in my target demographic.

As Greg said, it's also a great tool to connect and learn from other professionals in your industry. If you're good at what you do, and have meaningful things to say, social media is a powerful tool to leverage your reputation and reach.

Pointless for small business? I'll have to respectfully but strongly disagree. To me it's been a very big influence multiplier.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I have had a twitter account since June. I can't find anyone who uses it. Majority of people stop posting on twitter after the first month. I know I did.

It's good to know it can work but how did you first get in contact with those people? Was it through twitter or a different source?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I owe a great deal of the PR exposure and recognition I've received over the last year to social media, and that includes Twitter. I've used it to build relationships with colleagues, media professionals, and thought leaders across the country since the Fall of '09. As a reputation and credibility builder, it's a very powerful tool. You don't have to be a celebrity, but you do have to be genuine.

The Big50 award, the cover of Professional Remodeler this month, and numerous article mentions--including a piece in this month's Holmes on Homes magazine--all traced to connections I've made through Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and the forums.

Social media supports a good marketing plan, it doesn't replace it. While many of those in my online networks are outside of my market, over the last 6 months I've seen a big increase in the number of local Twitter connections. Most of them are professionals who use it to promote their own businesses--but those folks sit squarely in my target demographic.

As Greg said, it's also a great tool to connect and learn from other professionals in your industry. If you're good at what you do, and have meaningful things to say, social media is a powerful tool to leverage your reputation and reach.

Pointless for small business? I'll have to respectfully but strongly disagree. To me it's been a very big influence multiplier.
I don't think twitter is a bad thing, that's wouldn't be right. I do think it's totally unnecessary though. If you are good at blogging you don't need Facebook or twitter.

I say this because I have read quite a few articles on this same subject and many people decide to pick one of the 3 and do it all they way without splitting time. I think that's smart to master one form of social media and ignore the rest, after all some pretty big businesses focus on one and not all three. In the next year or two if a dozen other forms of social are invented does that mean we all need to do a dozen more? When does it end?

For me a least a blog makes sense. I have no interest in the others but I can see how people like it.

Mike

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,822 Posts
I have had a twitter account since June. I can't find anyone who uses it. Majority of people stop posting on twitter after the first month. I know I did.

It's good to know it can work but how did you first get in contact with those people? Was it through twitter or a different source?
The first few contacts will lead to dozens of others as you connect with their feeds and see who they are interacting with. If you want to find connections, start with some of the folks here.

A great example: Sean Lintow, CT screen name SLSTech. If you want to see someone put social media to work through Twitter, his blog, and participation here--check out his feed:

http://twitter.com/slsconstruction

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
ChrWright said:
The first few contacts will lead to dozens of others as you connect with their feeds and see who they are interacting with. If you want to find connections, start with some of the folks here.

A great example: Sean Lintow, CT screen name SLSTech. If you want to see someone put social media to work through Twitter, his blog, and participation here--check out his feed:

http://twitter.com/slsconstruction
Thanks Chris. Maybe I'll have to do some looking into that and give it a fair shot.

·
Banned
588 Posts
If there were more people that used twitter, it would be a really great tool. Unfortunately, there are just not that many people who are using twitter. I recently did a search for a designer, I found 1 designer in kansas city that followed and messaged. This was the first time I realized the potential of this network. I think more people will catch on and it will end up being a very useful networking tool.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Twitter marketing is pointless for small business or anyone who isnt a celebrity. Their, I said it.
:clap:Nice to see im not the only 1 thinking that way. There is a million other marketing techniques that work infinitely better than twitter marketing for bringing in new business and don't take nearly as much time.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,822 Posts
:clap:Nice to see im not the only 1 thinking that way. There is a million other marketing techniques that work infinitely better than twitter marketing for bringing in new business and don't take nearly as much time.
Small businesses fail often because they take too much of a tactic approach to their marketing. Too much emphasis on "techniques" and not enough on developing a unique message and an overall plan to achieve their goals for growth. Spend the time to get to know your ideal customer first--then decide whether or not social media has a place in your business.

Calling it "Twitter Marketing" is something of a misnomer. It suggests that it is merely another place to "push" your advertisement/offer/etc. Social media is "social". You are building long term connections and relationships.

If you're a young business, I would agree there are a lot of other things you should focus your time on first. Social media does require an investment of time to develop and nurture. But for those who have established businesses I strongly suggest you spend some time looking into what the future holds for online search before you dismiss social media as just another fad.

·
Sean
5,537 Posts
Well seeing Chris dragged my name up...

I am sure if you pulled a search for Twitter & my name in here, you would probably come to my first thoughts on it as completely worthless with the joke about not tweeting while nailing

Fast forward and I will have to echo what Chris has said about improving your network, etc... For example - kcremod, my network now has at least 50 designers in it and numerous others who use them / support them. I could easily post a question on something & I would not only get some help but they could probably direct me to at least 5 designers in almost any area who may or may not be on Twitter (shoot I get referrals from some of them & we have yet to meet face to face)

The one reason why it works for some & not all, is you have to remember that it is a social platform - just like going to a bar, or even being on this forum. You don't walk into a bar, or go into a forum spamming everyone with sales pitches do you? If you want to learn how to put it to work - I would recommend you watch this video done by Amy aka Splintergirl (she works for a Timber Frame company) http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=748229744546 (to see the next spots - click next) If you are a member of BuilderLink, simply click here - http://www.yourbuilderlink.com/index.php?action=library.webinardetail&rowid=15 (if not you might want to check them out anyways)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts